Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line Programming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkesting

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2003
US
I recently took over support for a Merlin Magix phone system with a bunch of Avaya 4412D+ phones hooked up to it. I have one station that I cannot get dial tone on. When looking at the line key assignments on the phones, I notice that most phones, for Line 1 for example, is assigned as 801-N, but on the phone that is not working properly the assignment is 801-I. What is the difference between the -N and -I on the end and how do I change that flag?

Thanks.

That's not why it can't get dialtone. I= immediate ring. N= No ring. Has nothing to do with access to the line for outbound dialing. Did you try putting a different phone at that location?

A different phone makes no difference. The problem seems to be with the extension. All I know is that before I took control of this, the ex-administrator supposedly wiped out that phone's voicemail box (and it is claimed that is all they did), but since then the lines don't seem to work.

So when you press 801-I you get nothing at all? Does the button light green like it is trying to grab the line or does nothing happen? It could be that extension is set to outbound restricted so it won't let you grab dialtone. You would need to check that through the console or WinSPM.

When I pick up the handset and press a line button the red light flashes briefly then goes back off.

It is probably restricted from outbound dialing. Can you answer an inbound call on it?

I haven't tried.

From the the main system phone, how would I check if its restricted on outbound dialing?

Menu- System Prog- Start- Extensions- Restrictions. Make sure it is not set to internal only.

Under restrictions it is set to "Unrestricted".

From the console under extensions you can also see if has a forced account code, Although it should prompt for that if that was the case. Also under extensions, check ARS restrict and make sure it is set to 3 (this only applies to pooled systems, not keyed systems so if you try to access ARS restrict and it won't allow you it is because it is keyed).

It could also be assigned to a disallowed list. The best thing to do in this kind of a issue is to do a print of the extension, but you need Winspm to do that. Might be time to call a tech with access to Winspm.

Don't see an account code associated with this extension. ARS Restrict is set to 3.

How do you check allow/disallow list?

BTW.........thanks for all your help. I'm new to this brand of phone system and your help is extremely appreciated.

Both intercom buttons produce "inside" dial tone. Every feature of the phone seems to work fine accept access to dial tone. I have not yet checked for any allow/disallow lists.

I got the extension working. I was able to find a copy of WinSPM and get logged into the system. The extension in question had Forced Account Code Entry and Remote Call Forwarding enabled. I took those options off and now the phone works fine.

A question I have now......does the Magic 515A have an analog port on it?

Thanks for all your help!

If you have either An 012 T/R, 016 T/R, 008 OPT, or I believe the last 6 ports in a 016 ETR (needs to be configured) , then you can use analog devices.

When Linux is Free and Open, who needs Windows or Gates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back