Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line? Phone System? Both? Neither? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cipher7836

Technical User
Dec 20, 2010
US
Avaya IPOffice 500v2

T1 Via Windstream

Hello all, we're a charity and can potentially lose thousands of dollars a day when donors say our lines are busy, or the call just connects to dead air. Some donors from around the country have said that it takes anywhere from 6-10 calls repeatedly for our system to answer. In the meantime the donors get busy singals, or just dead air with no ringing sounds.

I had an employee in the 407 area code test this out for me. He dialed in 8 times, and out of 5 calls he got busy singals. The other calls didn't ring. They just went to dead air. On one or two calls I saw that the Avaya System Status showed the caller as connected with no issues. However, the employee just heard dead air.

I let our Avaya tech know. He said it's a line issue, and to call the phone company. I gave Windstream a call with call examples, and times. They said that their line shows as clean. And that those calls were disconnected or got a busy signal from the originating party. So basically, either the caller's equipment stinks or their phone company does. Or both. But Windstream is good.

I told the Avaya tech what they said, and he said that they always say that. That it's a line issue. On a hunch my boss had me reboot the IPOffice system. Right after the reboot I had the same employee calls us and out of 6 calls ALL 6 rang and connected. Then two hours later when we went to test again the same busy signals came up.

I have no idea what to do next. It seems that everyone is pointing fingers at the other guy, but no one is actually correcting it. And I don't have enough knowledge to fix this myself. Any ideas?

Do you ever have trouble calling out on the T1? Or is it just inbound that is effected? With a T1/PRI, it could be a protocol mismatch which then causes errors on the system which when they add up then take the T1 down. Rebooting the IPO will clear the errors and start from scratch again. Make sure they PRI settings on the IPO are set the same as the PRI settings that Windstream has set. Most common in the us is NI2, but they must match each other or else the signal will error out and go down.

Sometimes we do have trouble calling out now that I think about it. We'll get a fast busy or some strange out of service sound that must be coming from Avaya, and the phone's display will say "call unavailable" or something like that. I called Windstream and they said they had to open a trouble ticket, and have someone call me back to confirm settings. I hope this thing can finally be resolved.

Are the license file valid?, IP Office will work for 2 hours then quit because of invalid license

As a customer I would call Avaya Management, explain the problem and tell them now one helps you. Avaya will assign a project manager to it who will bring all parties together in order to get it fixed, Avaya does not care who's problem it is, they only want the problem to be solved, rather yesterday as tomorrow.

Thanks, intrigrant. Our Avaya guy isn't officially with Avaya. Our charity didn't get a good discount using Avaya support so they didn't buy any from them directly.

What's weird is that the same user who gets busy signals dialed an 800 number that points to an incoming call route we have. I see the call coming in when he calls it. He doesn't get any busy signals he just gets connected, and here's the IVR. He said he's never had an issue calling into that particular number. But aren't they all on the same T1? If one had an issue wouldn't they all have an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back