Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line Not Available after new 206 nstall 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRONE2

Technical User
Dec 18, 2003
US
Have I missed something? Current configuration:
206E R3.0 (Slot1),
206 R3.1 (Slot2),
Processor Module 3.1 (Slot P),
206 R2.0 (Slot 3).

Powered down rack, added 206E R4.1 into slot 4, installed tested line into top jack(Line 7?). Powered up rack, all green indications across 5 modules. Programmed #301 for 5 stations to add 7th Button assignement (All 18 button phones). Phone assignment lights up but no dial tone at any of the 5 stations...

What did I miss?

Thanks in advance
Rick

Dial 807 on the intercom to make sure that you are accessing line 7

Swap the line cord in CO-7 with CO-6. Check line 6 for dial tone to make sure that the new line is in fact working. If so, check line 7 again.

Move the new line cord to CO-8 and dial 808 on the intercom to see if you get dial tone.

Swap 206 modules in the carrier to see if it is a bad 206.

Do one thing at a time, and note the results. You will break the problem down and find the solution.

Forgot to mention that once I didn't get dial tone on line 7 on phone sets, I then used #301 program to assign line 7 and line 8 to two available buttons on phone set. I tested new line 7 with butt testor before I had powered up switch. When it didn't work on top port I then moved to bottom port. Nothing on either new button assignemnts.

Did I miss something when I installed new 206E in slot 4? Does the system recognize line automatically? I installed the module, then used #301 to assign the line. This was new purchase module from Avaya. I will go back to wife's office and swap 206's. Is all programming in processor? I won't compromise configuration when I swamp, assuming i take due diligence in verifying extension connections.

Thanks a lot for your help. If I get this right, maybe the wife wont give me a lump of coal in me stocking...

The system will automatically see the 206 in slot 4. The programming is all held in the processor, so you can swap modules around with no problem (assuming that the ni-cad batteries in the processor are still good, keeping the programming intact while the power is off). Just use a Sharpie to mark the cords plugged into the extension and line ports so you can put them back in the correct order. Sure sounds like a bad 206 module. They are no longer manufactured, so you got a refurb.

TouchToneTommy..THANKS! I really appreciate this forum for the highly professional and technical expertise. Hope to contribute as well. Thanks Again!!I'll let you know what I find out on the 206 module tomorrow.

OK:I believe that I've determined the 206 module(refurb) to be bad, go figure. With the new line 7 verified with butt testor, the line was attempted to be reached by "Intercom 807", no DT. I powered rack down, swapped 206 with one that was in Slot 3, powered rack up, and checked Line 5 and 6 availability. Nothing. One last question...Does it matter if the 206E in slot 1 is earlier revision? The refurb is Rev 4.1. Thanks again. Rick

it dosent matters what revsion number is in which slot you could always try popping the 4.1 in slot one to see if it works though

you got to be carefull who you buy your refurbs from a lot are sinmply "whipe cleans " they get them in whipe them down and ship them out without evean bothering to check anything . the idea is its cheaper to let the end user do the testing and if its bad they replace in the long run its cheaper for them than checking each unit.

I hope you can return it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back