Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line Monitor and Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjrocksit

IS-IT--Management
Feb 15, 2008
US
I have a strange problem that maybe someone can shed some light on for me.

I have an application that uses an auto dialer connected to a modem to dial a number. We have the daughter cards installed into the desk phones for the modem line.

I can initiate a call through the modem which uses a line in the phone system and I was wondering if there was a way to set that line the modem uses to be monitored and "picked" through the handset?

At my old job we had an Avaya 8400 that we could assign an extension to a button on the phone and when you pressed the button for that line you could take over the call.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Jeramie

If you are talking about an MFM module, you could setup a Cover button or an SSA button for the MFM adjunct on the phone. If you are not familiar with any of this, you might want to download the manuals and documents from the Avaya website: support.avaya.com and do some reading.

....JIM....

Thanks Jim-

I'm more or less just wanting to know if it's possible to do through Merlin. I am using a MFM attached to the phone by the way. I just want to make sure that the line can be picked from the handset before I ask my service company to come out and make the changes.

Thanks for the help!

-Jeramie

Why would you want to "take over" a modem call? I know why I would want to but that may differ from why you would.

I have a "modem line" that is a extension off the house pbx and assigned to a button on my phone. The extension is cross connected to my station and attaches to my modem. I select the extension to call a site and talk. They can then transfer me into a Merlin system. tada

What is your application?

I believe that should work for your application. If no back board wiring is needed, your service company should be able to program the switch via remote access, and save you a service call depending on their practices.

....JIM....

I have an application that uses an auto dialer connected to a modem to dial a number.......I can initiate a call through the modem which uses a line in the phone system and I was wondering if there was a way to set that line the modem uses to be monitored and "picked" through the handset?

Shared System Access is the way to go. You will put a SSA button for the MFM extension on your telephone. Initiate the call with the auto-dialing modem, grab the call on the SSA button on your phone, but you will need to cause the modem to disconnect, probably by clicking on something on your screen.

Right- the SA button is what we are going with. I'm waiting for my service company to send me the instructions on how to program the button.

Also, just to be a little more clear, the modem is dialing a voice call through the application.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back