Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line-In Recording Grief: Cassette to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmshrink2

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
ZA
Please help. I'm trying to set up the system so as to be able to transfer casettes to CD via the PC. I'm using Music Match Jukebox Plus, which makes it sound pretty easy: it appears that I need a particular cable (2 jacks on the one end going into the hi-fi, and 1 jack on the other end, going into the Line In of the PC); connect up and hit record on the Jukebox, turn on the cassette, and off you go - or so I thought.
I bought the cable and have put the one end in the Line In connector, and the other end (with 2 jacks) into the Aux L and R connectors of the hi-fi (since this is the only place they fit). I then go through the procedure on Music Match (having splashed out on the Plus version purely for this purpose), but no matter how i configure the cable (eg into Line-In/Mic/Headphones) or the Windows mixer (I've set the recording levels for Line-in, etc), I still have not been able to transfer anything onto the PC.
I'd appreciate any input you may have.

May sound simplistic, but are the "Aux L and R connectors" input, or output?

Your aux jacks are probably a line-in for your stereo. They are used to connect extra components such as a turntable or a CD player.
You can use the aux setting to listen to the music that is on your computer. Simply plug into the line-out instead of the line-in of your sound card.
You can use your speaker jacks as a line-out. Make sure you have your stereo turned to a low volume if you do this. You can use your headphone jack as a line-out. You will need a different cable of course. A 1/4" jack plug to 1/8" jack plug or 6.3mm to 3.5mm. This is if you have a 1/4" jack on your stereo. If you have a 1/8" jack then use a cable with 1/8" jack plugs on both ends. Using either of these will not produce the best results. My advice would be to use a component cassette player and connect to the line-out from that.

Hope this helps,
Zed

You're both right. My aux connectors are input rather than output (sheesh). I've just managed to find an old Technics deck that has the correct connectors, and seems to be working fine now. Thanks guys.
By the way, do you know of any free s/ware that splits large wav files into separate tracks - that is, after the files have been recorded, rather than on the fly during recording?

Thanks Zed, I downloaded audacity but I'm embarrassed to say that I can't figure out how to split wav files from it (the help files are quite anorexic). Are you able to give me a few clues about how to go about doing this? The file I want to split is already in wav format and it's just under 400MB. I'd like to be able to simply export the file and then use some utility that scans the file for pauses and puts in tracks at that points.
Ta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back