Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

line graph data entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

EOG

Technical User
Aug 19, 2003
CA
I'm having trouble creating a line graph in Illustrator 10.

The help entry says this:
Enter numbers representing quantities along the y axis; enter numbers representing time along the x axis. Each column of data corresponds to one line in the line graph. You can combine positive and negative values in a line graph.

What is confusing is that by entering numbers representing time along the x axis, a new column is created, thus creating a new line. I don't want a new line in this case, I simply wish to specify the corresponding x value.

The graph was originally created in excel, and that's where I'm pulling my data from. The source data looks like this:

X values =DataA$1:A#8
Y values =Data!B$1:B#8

Column A

Column B

Column A is my X axis co-ordinates and B is my Y axis co-ordinates.

If someone could show me what the data table would look like in Illustrator, I would be appreciative.

Thanks,
EOG

there are buttons at the top of the graph data window that allow you to transpose, switch x/y and even import data. You might try importing the exel file and messin with the buttons, just hit apply each time so you can see your changes.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Trust me, I've been fiddling around with this thing for a while. Is there a definitive way of doing this?

EOG: What you'll need is the Scatter Graph to set up a One-to-One correspondence between A column Data and B column Data. In other words, coordinate pairs, not the line graph...(although I can see that you Ultimately need lines.) Double-click the graph tool for more options to set up the Min/Max and TURN OFF the connect pts. UNLESS, you physically REorder the data 'pairs' in the data ITSELF so that the line traces from left to right... otherwise (as it is from the order you gave me) The line will be all over the place, up, down, back on itself, etc.

I'll Post more in a few hours.... The Graphing Front-end is pretty powerful (for an Illustration prog.)

Sef.

Sef.

It is alright to decorate construction, but never construct decoration. - Pugin, on Arch.

I'll look into this, thanks Sef.

In related news, I've contacted Adobe Tech Support, who are currently researching a way of making this work properly (the telephone rep. shared my frustration at trying to make this thing work properly). They say that they should get something back to me within 48 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back