Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line Chart Report with Criteria in Header

Status
Not open for further replies.

clem

Technical User
Dec 5, 2000
US
I am having trouble making a line chart report with the criteria on top of the chart.
I am basing it on a query that includes:
Product, Date-Time, Min-value, Max-value, and Actual_value
I can easily make a graph of Min, Act, and Max by date-time, but can't figure out how to put the product name in the header.
The query contains many products, each of which has dozens of date-time specific values. I put in a criteria in the query to limit it to [What_Product], but can't get the specified value in the report.
I want a one page report with the product chosen at the top and the graph below.

I tried Report - Sub-report, but it says they are unbound. Probably means I need a unique key in common? I don't want to use sub-reports, but can't figure it out with or without.

Any suggestions?

Who cares what a Wizard says if you don't need the wizard. You can add a text box to the report:
Name: txtProduct
COntrol Source: =[What Product]
Set the Link Master/Child of the chart control to your product field in the chart and the txtProduct from the report.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

When I tried this, I get an error "Can't build a link between unbound forms"

Then add a record source/query to your report of the Product table and bind one control to the ProductID or whatever you want to use to set the link master/child properties.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

Thanks. I think you have hit on the heart of my problem. I don't have a product table. I know that this isn't normalized, but didn't think it would be a problem in such an easy report requirement. Do I have to add a product master and tie the field in the main table to it? Or can I just have a reduntant table (or query?) with that field?

Sorry to be so dense. I just keep thinking this is a simple requirement and shouldn't force me to 3rd normal form.

You only need a query that is grouped by your product.

Duane MS Access MVP

I have been trying that. The graph is still unbound.

I don't know much about your tables and fields. Does your report have a record source? If so, what is it? What is the Row Source property of your Chart?

Duane MS Access MVP

I built a simplified version with the following:
Table1 with Product, Test_Date, and Weight (no key)
Query1 with Product (criteria = [What Product]), Test_Date, and Weight
Report1 with record source Query1 and a chart inside of it with Row Source:
SELECT (Format([Test_Date],"MMM 'YY")),Sum([Weight]) AS [SumOfWeight] FROM [Query1] GROUP BY (Year([Test_Date])*12 + Month([Test_Date])-1),(Format([Test_Date],"MMM 'YY"));

When I try to link master and child fields it says "Can't build a link between unbound forms"

Thanks for your time. Would it help if I sent you this very small, simple test db with only 10 records?

The row source query of the chart should not have a where clause associated with it. The report should be based on a query like:

SELECT DISTINCT Product
FROM Table1
WHERE Product = [Enter Product];

Then set the link master child properties to Product. Your chart row source will need to have the Product field included. Add a text box to the detail section of your report and bind it to the Product field.

Duane MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back