Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line breaks not passed to Outlook 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitdaf

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2003
US
Hi,

Real stumper here for me ... I'm not sure if this is a php, html or MS Outlook issue. I threw a dart and the php forum wins the question... ;)

I have a form that is gathering info and passing it to a php script (contact form type of script) that send the collected data to a recipient via e-mail.

The form is standard html with both input and textarea fields.

When the e-mail is received all of the data is there - no problem... but, in Outlook only, there are no line breaks from the textareas. In other words, if the user used "enter" to create a new line that is not being read by Outlook - rather it prints the contents of each textarea as a single line.

Strangely enough this is not the case in Eudora, Outlook Express, TheBat! or my webmail cient (SquirrelMail)... only Outlook! Arggg! And, of course, the person I set this up for uses .... Outlook!

Anyway - any ideas why this might be happening like this? The html is validated, the php script is doing it's job... all fingers are pointing to Outlook. I will probably also post this in an Outlook forum but thought there may be an issue (known issue) with how php and Outlook in regards to formatting html??

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Bitdaf

Well here is what the deal was...

It was an Outlook "feature" - seems that I finally noticed a small warning that read: "Some line breaks have been removed. Click here to restore..."

Oh well... thanks for the reply anyway. :)

Bitdaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back