Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limiting the contents of a combo box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2003
GB
Hi - i haven't touched Access for ages and my mind has sustained too much alcohol damage in recent years for me to remember even the basics, so:

i have a form (form1) which links to a table (table1)where by i select an organisation via a combo box - i created a button on the form which opens another form (form2) linked to a second table (table2) i want the combo box to display only those fields which match the field selected in the combo box.

for example :
form 1's combo contains a list of businesses:
combo box on form 2 would contain only the employees related to the business selected on form 1's combo box

How are ya oneeyedwilly . . . . .
oneeyedwilly said:
[blue] . . . i want the combo box to display only those fields which match the field selected in the combo box.[/blue]
Unless you've misquoted your intention, [purple]this is circular logic (the combox is dependent on itself).[/purple] no way to do this!

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Hi,

When i first registered to Tek-Tips I was sporting a black eye (ironically some years later the bruising has all but gone on my latest one).

circular logic (i warned you too many dead brain cells - just returned from Amsterdam).

On form 1 the combo box allows you to select an organisation - e.g microsoft, IBM.

I have a button on the form which opens a new form finding specific data (where employee company matches the company number of the organisation). This works fine i.e. filters the right amount of employees i can flick through these using the record navigation buttons.

however i would like a combo box on the form that will allow me to search through all the employees quickly. But here is the catch: i only want it to show the filtered employees - at the moment it shows all no matter what organisation i pick on the initial form.

Simply make the RowSource of the employees combo dependent of the business combo.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back