Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limiting number of access to open a protecteddatabase

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyru

Programmer
Jan 17, 2009
ES
I'd like to know if there's a way to limit the number of times you can input a password to open an access database.

I mean you get your textbox for inputting your password and if you fail it, for example, three times, you get a message "the database has been blocked for an hour" and you cannot open it during this time.

I guess if this can be done it has to be done through VBA code, but I don't have the slightest idea of how to begin.

Does anyone know about this topic?

Thanks.

There's some good starting points here:

This doesn't include the retry count you want to track. To be honest, if the data is important enough to warrant this kind of security I'd argue Access isn't the right tool for the job. Anyone who can use Google would be able to bypass this (and any other data security in Access) with very little difficulty.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Create a counter variable. Each time the login fails, add 1. Once you've reached the limit, display your "lockout" message.
If you truly want to set a lockout period, you'll have to save the time to a table and compare it to current time on subsequent login attempts.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back