Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limiting FTP access

Status
Not open for further replies.

strausy

MIS
Jun 7, 1999
US
Visit site
I would like to limit a user's FTP access to their home directory only. They do not log on locally to the machine, the user is only going to FTP. When they log on, they go directly to their home directory, but the entire root of the server is also available to them. Is there a special group I should put them in or anything else I'm missing?<br>
<br>
<br>

You can't get there from here. Solaris ftpd doesn't swing that way.<br>
If memory serves, the Washington University FTPD (Wu-ftpd) has some capabilities like that, but it involves significant effort.

I've seen it done on one other Solaris machine. It involved copying certain bin and etc files to their home directory. That was the siginificant effort part I did not want to do every time I added a new user. Is the Wu-ftp significant effort more involved than this? Can you give me more explanation of this effort?

What you are referring to is anonymous FTP, which does a chroot to a predetermined directory to prevent the user from surfing your machine. Once chroot'ed, the user can't even find things like ls, which FTP needs to show the contents of a directory. This is why you need to replicate a mini-system under the chroot'ed directory, with ls and the like copied there.<br>
The significant effort I was referring to was finding, compiling, and configuring wu-ftpd. Way more complex and configurable than regular ftpd. And you still need to to everything I mentioned above with wu-ftpd.

Thanks for the tips. I have already found wu-ftpd and installed it. Since it has more documentation, I think I will give it a try.<br>
<br>

The standard ftpd for Solaris provides adequate documentation on how to set up an anonymous ftp server. Also, you can go to <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> HREF=" TARGET="_new"> organization has much to help int he area of security and anonymous ftp servers. From monitoring ftp activity to configuring the ftp directories and permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back