Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limiting Folder Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

jed79

Programmer
Jul 30, 2002
US
Can I limit the size of a folder? Our domain users each have a home directory on our win2000 file server...is there a way to limit the size to, say, 500MB?

I've looked into disk quotas, but that doesn't seem to allow me to limit a specific folder.

Thanks.

Don't know if this helps but Once you enable Disk Quotas on the Volume containing the home directories, you can then limit each user's disk usage within this volume to 500MB. I realise that this quota is cumulative across the volume and not just assigned to the folder but it still prevents the user from going over the 500MB mark. If this is used in conjunction with file/folder security, then you can make sure that your user only has access to one folder within the volume (their home folder). This means the user can only access one folder and their effective quota for that folder will be the 500MB quota you set for that user within the volume.

Hope this helps.

Scotamb.

Thanks, that's the conclusion that i was starting to come to......so I guess for every folder that you want to limit, you could create a group that only has access to the folder in question, and then put a quota on the group...yeah?

Sounds about right, so...

1. create folders on the volume that you wish to quota
2. create a group
3. assign relevant access permissions for group to folders
4. Enable disk quota on Volume/Disk, add your newly created group into 'Quota Entries for Local Disk x' and then set the quota limit for that group to what you require.

I'm sure you've already worked this out though.

Good luck.

Stevie.

Well, this sounded like a great idea, until I found out that you can't add a quota to a group. you can only do it at the user level.

Back to the drawing board....

thanks

u can add quota but unfortunatly its not with a win2k box. If you have some cash and are familiar with unix you can try a NetApp box which will allow you to limit size. We do this for exchange quotas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back