Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limiting Data in Crystal Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdmadden

MIS
Jul 30, 2001
US
I am using Crystal Reports version 8 with absolutely no training ( I have done pretty well so far) but although I love it, I can't seem to find a way to do something I was able to do in my old Report Writer software. I have a database of information about fire hydrants. Each hydrant has a unique ID and multiple records of service and flow information. I am trying to report on Hydrants which are showing out of service. The problem is when I run my report I show every service record and flow record (up to 20 of each) for the individual hydrant. I need to show the most recent inspection and flow history. Is there a way to show all that are out of service and only their most recent information? In my old report writer I was able to show the "unique" value. Anyone have suggestions? If I say I want to show unique value now, I go through select expert and then have to specify which hydrant ID I want to look at, that won't work. Help!

Have you tried to group on your unique id and have the service dates sort desending and put the fields in the group section. suppress the details line.

Okay I put the info into groups, and suppressed the details section, works great to show my hydrant number, but I do need to see some details, anyway to make this happen? For example I also have fields that show the notes regarding inspection and the address of the hydrant, not just the hydrant id. We are getting there thanks to you!
fdmadden

It depends on if you want the detail from just the last service record and flow record or do you want to see them all. If you just want the last service and flow records you can sort on those fields decending and place the field in the Group header section. If you want to see all the service and flow records for each hydrant you put the fields in the detail section and do not suppress. As far at the addess you put that also in the Group header section.

Hope this makes since, let me know if not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back