Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limited to 10Mb/sec on 1711? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsabatini

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2002
US
I have been testing throughput on my 1711 router, and it seems to be limited to 10mb/sec. I've tried setting the "speed" parameter on the interfaces, but even if I force it to "100", file transferes are still locked at 10. Any ideas? Thanks.

Possibilities.

Is the device the ethernet interface capable of 100? Is it set to 10? Is anything in between the hosts set to 10?

Nothing is set to 10. There are other devices connected to the same switch as the WAN side of the 1711, and they can transfer at 100MBit.

And just for good posture, if the switch is managable, have you checked to see it hasn't been accidentally set to 10, or freaked out and set itself at 10?

Nope. I just tested throughput on my machine, which is connected to this switch: 8-9MBytes/sec on average

8 to 9 MB/sec is what 100Mb is..

100/8 = 12.5MB/sec..

Factor in your overhead and tcp acks, and that'll bump you down to 8 to 9MB/sec

BuckWeet

Yes, I know that 100Mbps will give you 8-9MB/sec. My point was that my personal workstation achieves that throughput, while the PC that's connected through the 1711 to our network gets only 1MB/sec maximum. I'm wondering how to enable full 100Mbps functionality through the 1711. The devices that are connected to the 1711 are not the issue. There must be something I'm missing in the 1711 config. Thanks.

What options do you have on the 1711?

It's very possible that some device downstream might be set to do full duplex when that segment of the network cannot do full duplex. That would cause that slowdown.

If every device directly connected to the 1711 is getting 100Mbps speed, it's pretty safe to say that there's another device somewhere else that's slowing down the traffic.

Do you have any CAT3 cabling? Have you tried replacing the exisiting cable to Cat5 or better. Do u have a drawing of your network?

You are right, your 1711 give only 10Mbit/s on it's 100Mbit
interface, it depends only on hardware, in fact with the main processor and the ability to switch packet. I tested some router and this is my personnal (very personnal) benchmark with 2 100Mbit/s inferfaces on a router and multiple test like FTP and ping.

Nortel ARN => score = 10Mbit/s
Nortel ASN => score = 20Mbit/s
Nortel BCN => score = 40Mbit/s
Cisco 2621 => score = 30Mbit/s
Cisco 7536 => score = 85Mbit/s

I think you cisco 1711 is similar to ARN (low price router)
with same generation of procesor. Routing packet is very expencive in term of procesor time. If you want more speed change to my favorite router, the cisco 2621, not too expencive and fast enouth, but don't expect 100Mbit execpt onto a switch !

Yes I would agree with ditleporc.

Most lower end routers from any manufacturer may give you a Fast Ethernet interface that is capable of 100 Mbit/s and full duplex, but the router hardware it self may not be able to route that much traffic. This includes Cisco products.

One thing you might look into doing that may give you a little more speed and is less CPU intensive is enabling CEF. CEF is pretty much Cisco's pride and joy for routing and basically it only requires the first packet in the flow to be routed through the CPU and after that the forwarding is stored in a ASIC table. Meaning that for large flows (aka. large file transfers, streaming media, etc) you can save alot of CPU resources and the packets will be routed via ASICs and not the CPU.

Have you checked out your CPU usage on the router when doing these transfers?

Burke

Yes, make sure CEF is enabled.. If you're looking to do routing via ethernet, you should look into a layer 3 switch.. This is all hardware ASIC based, and will give you the best performance (wire speed routing)..

BuckWeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back