Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

limited display settings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kell3625

Programmer
Jan 6, 2001
US
My computer will only display in 640x480 and in 16 colors.. its my only choices in display properties I thought it might be it needed the monitor drivers *it won't let me install them, screen goes blank for adding them or adding new hardware* but i'm starting to think its the graphics card that needs the drivers cause in device manager it says that they're just "standard pci graphics adapter, and standard pci graphics adapter (vga)" i tried uninstalling them so i could choose what kind they are.. but it just reinstalled them as soon as i restarted.. *i have winme* the graphics card is an accel graphics falcon board made in 96 and it fits in the pci slot.. know where i could find drivers or is there some other problem entirely? thanks

The problem is missing drivers for the graphics card, you cannot uninstall the Standard Display Adaptor drivers as you require some drivers to give you a display of any kind and these are what windows will load by default. If you can get the correct drivers you install them and windows will use them, no need to uninstall anything.

A quick look about tells me you may have a problem with getting drivers for this card, the makers (Accelgraphics) site appears to be dead and the information I can glean indicates that they only released NT drivers for the Falcon card, not 95/98. Realtek are supposed to have released a 9X driver but I can find no mention of it on their site. Maybe you or someone else with more time available may have better luck. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Thank you very much! I'll start looking and thanks for the site i'll check it out =)

What is the graphics chip on the board? You might be able to find a generic chipset driver by looking on the web for the chip drivers.
You can also get some idea of what you are dealing with using debug and looking at the video bios description.
I'm not familar with that board/manufacturer so this may not apply. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I'm not exactly sure where that would be. this is definetly not my field of expertise. there are rows of black chips that say toshiba on them.. i'm guessing that's what your talking about.. theres also a big chip or whatever at the front thats sticking up or whatever.. it's green and says accel graphics and the black things on that say numbers and letters but no brand.. sorry i sound pretty ignorant.. is that what you need, if not where is it generally located?

It would be the accel graphics, and may have a number on it.
The toshiba are probably memory, but that is at best a wild guess.
You would get the accel graphics chip type and then look on the web for the specific part #. The other possibility is to look at the video bios and see if there is something there.
Sorry that I can't be any more help, but I'm as much in the dark as you are. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back