Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limitation on VB-project size 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvlUser

Technical User
Jun 20, 2004
BE
Is there a limit in expanding a VB-project? My compiled project already reached 4920 kB. I found the following about controls but nothing about the max size for compiling :

Project Limitations

A single project can contain up to 32,000 "identifiers" (any nonreserved keyword), which include, but are not limited to, forms, controls, modules, variables, constants, procedures, functions, and objects. Note that the actual number of identifiers is limited to available memory.

Variable names in Visual Basic can be no longer than 255 characters, and the names of forms, controls, modules, and classes cannot be longer than 40 characters. Visual Basic imposes no limit on the actual number of distinct objects in a project.

My executable is 5.9 megs and I haven't run in to any limitation problems yet.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

We've got one app over 8MB, but it's due to one form that has lots of images on it.

We've got a "mission critical" app that is floating at 9.728mb and working flawless on Windows XP/2K/NT machines.

However, on Windows 98 & 98SE, this application exaggerates the known memory leak in Win98/SE and the only fix is to restart the workstation.

Glad we're moving off of Win9x as quickly as financially possible :)

You can compact the exe and reduce its size significantly. Here's a link for UPX - Ultimate Packer for eXecutables along with another link for a submission to PSC for an Addin that utilizes UPX.

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

DrJavaJoe,
Just tried that PSC project - compiled it and registered it after moving the resulting DLL to the Windows\System32 folder.

I then went to the UPX site and downloaded the latest version 1.93. Extracted just the upx.exe into the Windows folder.

Ran an existing VB6 project and immediately get a message box (when loading the project) with the title of "Compilact" having the message stating "Invalide procedure call or argument" with only the OK button.

Once I click the OK button, the project continues to load without problems, however, the button (green arrow) that is supposed to be present to do the all-in-on (compile/compress/scramble) is not visible.

Is there a bug?

Thanks,

I have one VB 6.0 app with the size of:

30.9 MB (32,497,664 bytes)

Running fine for last 8-9 years.......

---- Andy

I've been using it for a long time and it works fine here. Maybe it is conflicting with another add-in. Are you running sp6? You could always try running UPX from the command line.

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back