Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limit What Records From Table Can Be Seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jannoth

MIS
Oct 9, 2007
CA
I have an unusual problem ...

Somehow, I need to develop a report to be run by various users with varying rights to see data. They'd all be using CRXI (ie not just a Viewer) and be on a LAN.

Basically, I have no idea whether it's possible to link to a certain table BUT hide sensitive data from certain users?

Eg, by password / LAN username / magic???

Can anyone help please?

Hi,
If they are using the full CR, the only way I see to limit what they see is to create separate views of the data in the database and only grant each user access to 'their' view based on the user/pass combo they enter when connecting to the datasource.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Is your report using a Business View? If so, you can use row and column security to hide data based on their Enterprise rights.

The report isn't designed yet but at least initially, the data will be in a straight SQL table.

But, using an SQL View instead would be no problem, except that I don't know the meaning of "Business View" - I'll try to look it up ASAP ... unless you would care to explain please?

Thank you.

J

In CRXI you can create a business view on Enterprise. Personally I love them and they are very simple to create and if you have a lot of different tables you regularly report off of, they are extremely useful. Basically you have a central place where you pull in all of your tables and link them. Then you add fields from the tables and can rename the fields. As db's often have odd names for fields, this is nice as you can rename the fields to be much more logical. After you have finished it, you can use the business view for all of your reports and you don't have to pull in and link tables every time you are doing a new report. I have 2 big databases I report from regularly and have one set up for each. There's a lot of functionality that is very useful with it.

Thanks - loads to play with now (so much that I don't know!).

I really appreciate it.

J

Just a little hint. When we changed to CRXI here from CR9, the powers that be decided to make me responsible for the entire server (which I had no experience in) instead of just writing reports. I got myself "The Complete Reference Crystal Reports XI" and it has been an invaluable tool. I have continued using it as a reference even 2 years later. It walks you through a lot of things including step by step of how to set up a business view. You can pick it up for around $40 at amazon (

Wow, you have been so helpful, thanks jstangel.

I'm in the UK and just checked Amazon - the 2008 version is actually cheaper than CRXI - weird, huh?

I guess I'll also start bugging our IT Dept to upgrade cos 2-3 of the new features are quite nifty.

Cheers again!

Hi,
Just to add my 2c into this:
I did not use Business Views even though we had the full set of Business Objects tools because I did not want to be limited in what reporting system we might want to use in the future ( or even now, with other apps) - there is not much, if anything, you can do with Business Views that cannot be done with the database's own view creating ability and those views will be available to any access method.

[profile]

Absolutely correct Turkbear, I do have some reports I don't use my business views for. In my specific case, I don't have the knowledge (or access) to create views from my databases so I love being able to take full advantage of the business view capabilities. Your specific reporting needs should definitely be considered to determine what works best.

No problem jannoth, glad I could be of help. I would personally love to get my company to upgrade to 2008 (I've looked and it does have some pretty cool new features). But alas I work for a homebuilder here in the US and with the economy and housing market down there just isn't the money.

Hi,
As with most IT stuff, you use the tools that you need to get the job done.
Whatever gets you through the day is a good thing....

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back