Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limit on number of fields in form, is there a way around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nardvark

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
US
When I run the Forms wizard, I go through and select the fields I want, the background, style, etc...without a hitch. However, when I click "Finish" it thinks and begins to draw the form, but then I get an error message:
"You have selected too many fields. Please try again with fewer fields."
Now nowhere earlier in the wizard does it mention a limit on the number of fields that can be used. Between the Help file and Microsoft online support I've learned that there's a limit of 255 fields for queries and tables, so I assume there's something similar for forms, but I'm only using about 30 fields.
If anyone knows of a way to change or bypass this limit, please let me know, I am quite willing to sacrifice "database performance" if it means I can actually use the form I need to use...
Thanks in advance!

Hi Nardvark,

Ever tried producing the form from scratch? Try it.

The wizard doesn't do that much for you.

If you need help, just respond to this - I have it set on email notification and will respond.

Regards,

Darrylle "Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience."

Hmm,

There could be a problem if you are trying to display multiple tables that are related in a loop. EG Campany->Worker relationship, Worker->Address relationship, Company->Address relationship. I think I had this scenario once, and the wizard got into a loop, trying to figure what fields to add. At least thats what happened to me.

As Darrylle said above, generate the form manually, and deselect the relationships where a loop is formed. This does not affect the Relationships between the tables, only what is being displayed on the form.

Hope I got something right!

Shaune

Hi:
There is a limit of 754 controls per form, AND all the controls you ever put on the form, even if they are later deleted count against the total. The only answer I know of is to move the controls to a newly designed form.
There is someone on this site who said whenver you "Compact and repair" the database (Tools=>Database utilities=>Compact and repair) the counter is reset, so you might try compacting your database before anything as drastic as moving everything to a new form. (And, always back up.)
Cheers Gus Brunston 8-: An old PICKer, using Access2000. I manage Suggestions welcome. padregus@attbi.com

Thanks for all the replies!
Creating it from scratch works. The reason that I wanted to use the wizard is that typing in 35 controls by hand is slightly irritating.
If anyone is wondering, the limit on the number of fields you can use in a form wizard appears to be 28 or 29 (it overloaded with 30, and worked with 28, I didn't bother checking 29).
So I just loaded up the first 28 with a wizard and put the other 7 in by hand.
Thanks again!

Hi:

For next time...you can make a field list visible when you're in design view of a form and just drag and drop the fields into controls on your form. Gus Brunston 8-: An old PICKer, using Access2000. I manage Suggestions welcome. padregus@attbi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back