Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limit on application nesting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurricaneguy

Technical User
Apr 25, 2006
US
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of nested date or time control blocks allowed in call pilot?

We have a group that changes it's on call person every 12 hours at 4am and 4 pm. There are about six people that rotate through the on call all month. So we get about 60 changes in a month. I have been asked to setup a single number that will automatically dial the cell phone number of whoever is on call.

I was thinking of setting up an application with a time control then go to date controls. If the time and date match up it would call the on call person. But I did not know if there was a point that it would be too many decisions and the call would fail. I think I read that you were limited to 5 nested decisions in Meridian mail but I have not found anything about it in Call Pilot.

Thought I would clarify what I wanted to do.

Basically I would start with a Time Decision box. If it was between 4am and 4 pm then it would go to another row of Date Decisions. On the correct date it would forward to the correct on call person.

The problem I see if that by the last day of the month it would have to do up to 32 decisions (1 time and 31 days). I just don't know if it would timeout or lockup with this many blocks to go through.

I know it doesn't help and you have already thought of this, but a floater cell phone or pager is the best way to solve this problem. I sure wouldn't want to have to reprogram this for an illness or vacation.

Already thought of and rejected. The person oncall is not always at the office to hand off. Some days they are in the field at the end of shift and go directly home instead of returning to the office to hand off the cell/pager.

What about a phantom DN and use DISA to allow the users to change the forwarding number. At least it puts the ownership back on them and provides maximum flexibility on where the calls can be forwarded.

Also thought of and rejected. They want something completely automated for a whole month. That is why I am asking about Callpilot. We are thinking of upgrading our MerMail to Call Pilot. This project may be the incentive for upper management to pay for the upgrade. But that is why I want to make sure call pilot will work with up 30 days of decisions. If they do spend thousands of dollars on buying a call pilot and it does NOT work for this I might be looking fora new job.

Well, technically it's possible, but I cannot even begin to see how it could be managed effectively.

I built a condensed version starting with DayofWeek and then checking Date. For example, for December2007, if it is Friday, and today is 12/7 then check time of day, if AM call A, if PM call B.
if not 12/7, then check to see if 12/14. if 12/14, then check time of day, if AM call C, if PM call D. If not 12/14, check 12/21 etc.........

What about writing a Symposium/CC6 script? For example...

IF TIME OF DAY <> 00:00..11:59 THEN
EXECUTE afternoon_section
END IF

SECTION morning_section

IF DATE = Andy_am THEN
ROUTE CALL xxxxxxxxx /*i.e. Andy's cell no. */
END IF

IF DATE = Brian_pm THEN
ROUTE CALL yyyyyyyyy /*i.e. Brian's cell no. */
END IF

/* etc. etc */

SECTION afternoon_section

IF DATE = Andy_pm THEN
ROUTE CALL xxxxxxxxx /*i.e. Andy's cell no. */
END IF

IF DATE = Brian_pm THEN
ROUTE CALL yyyyyyyyy /*i.e. Brian's cell no. */
END IF

/* etc. etc */

/* Andy/Brian_am/pm are date global variables
(create as a set). Update them once a month or as required if someone becomes sick. You could also finesse the script to cater for mistakes, i.e. one of the days of the month is missing */

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back