Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

limit general access to specific forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

timekeepr9

Programmer
Jan 2, 2005
US
Hi,
I have a database w/ multiple tables/forms/etc. There are 3 forms that the average user should use, but the rest of it I would like to hide from them, simply to keep people from going to the wrong place and accidentally messing things up.

What I would like is to be able to password protect everything in the database except for those 3 forms. However, we have only been able to figure out how to password protect everything or nothing. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

i presume you have used the built in security to put on the password

in the on load property of the forms you wish to restrict you could run a check on the user name or i think security level even that the user has entered to gain access to the database

use use the CurrentUser method to get the name of the user logged onto the database.

you could then verify this against a list of users who should be granted the extra forms

if CurrentUser <> "Admin1" or "Admin2" then
me.close
else
end if

Ok, that would work for forms...but how would I bar access from tables? Basically I think the problem is that if I restrict access to the tables and everything, then I can't allow access to the forms.

You have many things to do...Search with all these keywords in these forums
[UL]
[LI] Hide database wiondow [/LI]
[LI] User level security [/LI]
[LI] Startup settings [/LI]
[LI] Removing default menu [/LI]
[LI] Custom menu [/LI]
[/UL]

Zameer Abdulla
[sub]Jack of Visual Basic Programming, Master in Dining & Sleeping[/sub]
Visit Me

Status