Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Limit Date to Month 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongie1

Technical User
Nov 24, 2003
US
I have a field in a query that is filled with values formated like this:

format(mDate,"mmm")

where mDate is a date.

I want to Limit the values to only "Jan". If I put "Jan" in the criteria section I get a type mismatch error. I understand why, but what can I put in the criteria section of the query to get my desired result?

What is the value of mDate?

Is it a text field, date/time field?

Need more info to help out.

HTH
Mike

[noevil]

Try the criteria argument in your query as:

Like "1/?/???"

Your table Date field can be date/time but doesn't need the mmm format explicitly set there. Set the format mmm in the Date column of your query.

Oops. Actually that's four ?'s for the year, not three.

Hi spongie1,

You should be able to enter "Jan" in the criteria. Can you post a few more details, please?

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I have been out of town. I will look into all suggestions and respond with a detailed email.

If I remember right, I build the date field from 3 separate columns in an excel spreadsheet linked to the database. (I do not have control over the excel spreadsheet.) I think I use dateserial(year, month, day)

I just tested TonyJollans advice using a query on a table created in access (not linked from excel) and "Jan" does work in the criteria section... unlike the version linked from the spreadsheet which do not work.

I also tested r937's advice in the same query and month(mDate) = 1 works.

For some reason these are not working with the linked spreadsheet data even though the output looks the same.

I will give a better response after work tomorrow.

Ok, here is what is happening...

I link an excel spreadsheet that someone else generates into an access database using the import... link option.

The date exists in 3 columns in the spreadsheet (year, month, day). Each column is formated as a number in the excel spreadsheet.

I believe they are number/double in the access database.

I can use dateserial(year, month, day) to make something that looks like the correct date, but when I try to limit the data using the criteria field I get a type mismatch error.

However, the same suggestions provided by r937 and TonyJollans work when I am not using the excel spreadsheet as the data source.

Is there anyway that I can perform the necessary typescasting?

Also, have I correctly characterized the problem. I believe that this is what is happening, but until I fix the problem... I am not 100% sure that this is what is happening.

So to answer mgolla's question... I am not 100% sure what type mDate is... I believe that it is double.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back