Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lightning affecting external calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

it44

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2006
US
Ok all...this feels like a Monday. Nothing but problems to share with you.

Everytime we have a lightning strike that hits like a sonic boom, we cannot receive/send calls from/to the outside. Only internal calls work. I have to do a hard reboot to resolve it.

Is there a way for me to remotely reset this thing. It happens a ton when I am home. I am able to dial in remotely.

Also, what is causing this. I love storms and now I cringe when they roll in, because it reminds me of work.

You may need a better ground on your system. I have only had this happen when the grounging wasn't very good.

Possible all you need to do is reset your T1s

You can also reload remotely - LD 143 XSL

system type? read the grounding ntp's very close.. one thing that will always cause that is a building that does not have all the grounds common to each other,, you do not want the switch to be the best ground in the city, but your building ground needs to protect your switch and your switch needs to be up to grounding spec's.. an opt 11 just needs a number 6 to a good ground,, a larger switch gets a little more detailed

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I had some bad experieces with "good ground" too, with bad protections on external lines (analogue trunk and extensions )...all the discharge of the lightning will be on the cards (especially the FALC) they burn like popcorn. We can have good ground, but without good lightning protection ( and far from each other, the ground I mean from the PBX and the lighning protection) , sorry but sometimes it's better just to be connected to the ACEG ground (110/220v ground), atleast all the systems (peripheric equipament) they all stay at the same tension level.

i try to make sure that all the grounds (earth, power, cold water pipe and cable sheath) are bonded somewhere close to but not in my switchroom.. i still run a number 6 to that but insist on the isolated ground that nortel loves.. i have solved some scary switch problems with a ground audit..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Is this an AC or DC PBX? Are all of your CSU's connected to the rectifier or UPS? Sometimes the demark requires power, is it connected to a UPS? Could be your CSU's are connected to a non UPS outlet.

that was my 1st thought but the user does not mention a power blink, just lightning... best thing about that problem is that it's not in my switch

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I'll double check all of the power connections as well as the grounding. Not sure about the dmarc but ill check that as well. I believe (from memory)that the ground is set right under the dmarc in the switchroom(on the wall on a 2x4).

thanks for all the insight. Ill inform you of any further occurences and if i happen to resolve the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back