Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lifespan for Telephone Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabble

Technical User
Jun 15, 2005
CA
What is the average lifespan for digital sets (2008, 2616, 39XX)?

Thanks.

Depends on the environment and the people using them. We have 2616 and 2008 sets over 12 years old still working perfectly in an office environment. However I have seen phones destroyed in less than 3 hours after install by an "over zealous" employee. Also in manufacturing environments dirt and grease get in to it and gum up the works. Additionally, we have issues with women (I hope) wearing a lot of makeup. It gets on the handset, transfers to the hook switch and it starts sticking, same with buttons.
I also have 39XX phones that I think are 5-6 years old with the same issues as above.
I hope this helps.

Just take a look on eBay! There are TONS out there. So even if they do break, the repair cost is cheap in most cases. You probably should factor that into the total cost of ownership.

Heck, I know of some old accounts still using wedge phones on old PE shelves! They can't upgrade to the current software, but the stuff does work as designed.

911Guru
E911 FAQs are located at:

i've replaced working 2616 displays that had been on the same desk for 10 years... we replaced all the old 2009's and 2112's here when we went to rls3.. 2 years ago and those were put into service in 1994...

with over 1000 staions that are over 5 years old.(2000 total digital). we have 2 ro 3 fail per week... our 3900's are not old enough to tell much about long term..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Criminey! I've got a few customers still using the 1st generation Aries (P/N begins NTZK) phones with external power supplies for the displays. Aside from some discoloration and needing the occasional button cleaning they work just fine.

And I dug this up from a Nortel Product Bulletin dated June 1995:

MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure)
Calculated at 25 degrees C (77 degrees F):
M2006 is equal to 59 years MTBF
M2006/8/8D with MCA data is equal to 56 years MTBF
M2008/M2008 with display is equal to 59 years MTBF
M2616/M2616 Display is equal to 59 years MTBF
M2616/M2616 Display with MCA is equal to 56 years MTBF

Regards,
Harry
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back