Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrplaid

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2001
US
Am I supposed to install the same number of Microsoft CALs as Citrix user licenses? Sorry for the newbie question but I haven't been able to find any information on their websites.

Yes. You need as many Microsoft Terminal Server CALs as Citrix User licenses, since your users are utilising both pieces of software. You also need a license for each instance of each piece of software that is run in this environment.

I hope this is clear

Thanks CitrixEngineer. What about Microsoft Win2k CALs? Can I get away with just purchasing Terminal-Services CALs or do I have to buy the same number of Win2k CALs as well. Thanks again!

You need a Win2K Cal for every Terminal Services client computer connecting to your Win2K server(s).

Windows 2000 licensing is a bear to understand. A Win2K TSCAL is required for every non Win2K device wishing to run a terminal session to a Win2K Server running Terminal Services. Win2K desktops have these CAL's built in and do not require additional licensing. Temporary licenses are distributed in the event that no CAL's are available from the Terminal Services License Server. These temp licenses expire after 90 days. This becomes a pricey proposition when you consider the following scenario:
* A user runs a terminal service session from a non Win2K device at work. The same user goes home and wants to access files and such via a terminal sevice session from a non Win2K device as well. That one user will have used two TSCAL's that stay with those specific devices.
MS is supposed to address this in Win2K SP2, hopefully to be more like the concurrent scheme used by Citrix. The current state of the licensing model makes it difficult to plan and budget your licensing needs. The only good thing I can say is the 90 day grace period allows you plenty of time to purchase more CAL's if needed. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back