Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Licensing on 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

talcs

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2003
GB
If I have 3 servers in an AD domain and 45 clients and only 45 CAL's, what would happen if I added another client? Do the servers use up any of the CAL's or do they have their own? Will I get a message or has Mr Gates not considered this yet?

thanks for the help

You will be fine, unless all 45 of your clients are accessing the SQL Server at the exact same time, which is extremely rare...

Most of the time you'll have half that number max accessing it, so you should be good.

There are days where all 45 users are authenticated. Maybe not many, but what if? The other question that comes to mind is... This is an SBS2K server and the absolute maximum is 50 users. What happens when I reach 50 users? Can only 50 users be authenticated at any one time?

thanks

In most environments users do not stay logged into sql server, they connect/disconnect quickly via whatever application you are using. However if they were to stay "permenently connected" then you may run into that barrier. I'm not as familiar with SBS so I can't comment on the product licensing requirements.

I'm not talking about SQL Server. The question is related to Windows 2000 lisencing.

Windows 2000 allows per seat or per server licensing. It asks how many licenses you have purchased, but you are not required to enter any any of the numbers, just lock them up in a safe place so you don't lose track of them. With such a lax licensing system, no wonder they snatched so much business from the competition. I think Windows 2003 enforces licensing, I think by way of product/license activation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back