Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

License server communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuliphead

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2004
NO
A quick question. PS 3/4 is using a license server for administrating the user licenses. Is there any communication between the license server and Citrix? The reason for asking is that you can set up alerts on the license server witch will tell you when the subscription advantage expire. Well, if that information were extracted from the license files only, then I had to download new license files each year right? So the logic seems to be that the license server checks some kind of central license database for the current status of my licenses? Uhm ... am I totally wrong on this one?

Anyone feel they have the knowledge to answer this one? It has drifted around on the answerless sea for quite some time now :)

As far as I know there is no automatic communication between your license server and Citrix.

Inside the *.lic file you download there is the data that your Citrix Farm needs to know in relation to license purchase date, what you are licensed for etc. When you buy a license I believe you get 12 months SA, that is how your server knows when it is going to expire.

One of the Citrix Farms I admin for is isolated from the outside world, therefore if there was an inbuilt link to Citrix I would be getting errors etc.

Hope that helps.

James

jameslearuk:
But doesn´t that imply that the license server needs new license files on a yearly basis?

As I see it, we have to options:
A) There would be some kind of update-communication between the license server and Citrix (this would of course not work in an isolated environment)
B) If the license server is not feed with updated license files on a yearly basis (manuall download), it has no way telling you when your SA expires, if you renewed it, if you did not care to renew it and so on.

Do you see the dilemma? :)

No.....most licences are "Permenent". To see this load the licence Server and under Complete License Inventory it will say your Product, Model, Type, SA Expiry, License Expiry and Installed total.

As for your SA Expiry, you get a notification in "MyCitrix" and also an email sent to you.

Regards

James

jameslearuk:

Yes, I know that. But the license server somehow need to get the SA information from somewhere. When the licenses are just bought, thats one thing ... but what about 1, 2, 3 years forward in time?

If the SA information should be kept updated from the license server, either way it has to be updated yearly ... manually or automatically (from some external source).

And it is this detail I can´t figure out

And the Citrix support staff answers:
The license server can only give correct information about SA related data the firsth 12 months ... any renewals will not be registered ... and for further warnings we have to relate to mycitrix.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back