Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

license/product key for MS office 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

POSPUNDITS

Technical User
Sep 22, 2019
CA
Can someone tell me if I can get a product key for MS office 2010. Owner lost the CD his PC crashed but there is install files copied in backup drive and it installed fine except that it keeps prompting for product key everytime he opens an office doc

Is it a reinstall or is it still intact? If it's the original install, and just butting out, you can try scanning with another program to find it. Though I haven't specifically used it for this issue, I have used it to easily copy the Product Key for older versions of Acrobat and Office when I'm reinstalling PCs anyway. I reinstall them, remote in with LansSweeper open on a different PC, and just copy/paste between windows. You could try the free version of LanSweeper, install it on that PC or a computer on the network, and let it scan everything. On older versions of Office, I think up through version 2010, as well as older versions of Adobe Acrobat, I know it can pull the Product Key into a database, where you can then grab it, save as a backup somewhere, and/or re-apply it to Office. But my gut feeling here is that it's a reinstall or something broke removing the key, in which case LanSweeper won't help. But if it's not a reinstall, I might at least give it a go.

Another option would be to first use Windows System Restore to go back to a point when Office was installed and had no issues, assuming Windows hasn't been reinstalled. In that case, you may fix the problem AND it'll give you a way to grab the Product Key to save for any future reinstall.

Otherwise, you'll be stuck trying to find a legitimate copy of Office 2010, assuming they have to stick with that old of a copy of Office or else get a new version. You can get them set up with Microsoft 365 services or if they want just a copy that'll be around a while like they previously did, buy version the latest version off Amazon or from Microsoft direct (or other vendors).

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back