Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

License Metering Problems. Service fails/clients get Licclint.exe err

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foy

MIS
May 7, 2001
US
I tried to configure real time metering usinf two servers. We have about 350 clients. The goal was to deny access to programs like napster and ICQ. Everything appeared to work until the server and cclients began to give errors.

I first noticed the SMS_License_server_manager was getting errors "The software metering server service is not running on "our server".
There were also errors in the License_Metering component "The software metering client on the computer "CLIENT" (user "CLIENT") encountered an error and is performing an abnormal shut down (Time: "5/7/2001 9:23:18 AM").

Next users began to report Dr. Watson errors of "Licclint.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program an error log is being created". I have seen a technet article stating that if a software version is too long this client error will occur. MS states that they have a fix but you must call them to get.

Has anyone seen this or have any ideas. I tried setting up different metering servers and they all service failures for the "The SMS_LICENSE_SERVER service terminated unexpectedly" I now have the license metering clients disabled, but would like to resolve and use metering.

Have you installed SMS SP3 ?
Since I installed this last Service Pack, I have exctly the same problem on the server and on the client;
can somebody give me a solution ?
I found 3 Hotfix ont the Microsoft Knowledge Base : Q279788,Q310317,Q280756;
but I can not download them anywhere; Is there somebody who has these patchs ?
Thanks in advance

Have you solved the problem ?
What helped you solving the problem, have you applyed one of the sugested hotfixes from Microsoft ?

Can you share your experience ?

Tanks,
Cmarreel

Can someone tell me where I can download these hotfixes??
I need them to correct this problem

thanks in advance

Regards,
Erwin Jansen

I have just service packed my installation with SP3 and we are experiencing this annoying licensing client issue. Has anyone got the hot fixes, as we object to paying microsoft for a problem which they have caused.

If you contact Microsoft you can explain this, and they don't ask money for it, I received it for free, but I installed it, and I don't have it anymore to forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back