Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

License issue -- help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosee

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2001
US
Our company is going to set up windows 2003 server environment. There will be 2 servers and total of 70 users involved. See below:

1. Windows 2003 server(server1), as a main domain controller - will have about 70 users connecting to the server using printers, sharing files.

2. Windows 2003 server(server2), as a terminal server withe Citrix system - will have about 30 users connecting the server using certain applications.

Both servers are part of our LAN. I know I have to buy 30 CALs for the terminal server. But I don't know how many CALs do I need for server1.

When user turn on the computer and login in the morning, do they login to server1 or login to server2? Will 40(70-30) CALs be enough for server1. Do I have to have 70 CALs for the domain controller?

Will 70 CALs for the main domain cover the access to Terminal server? I have read some information online indicating that CALs is required for terminal server.

It is toooooooooo confusing ..........

As you can see from the link up untill 2003 server you didn't need a TS cal if you had a Windows CAL, but now i'm afraid you need both.

Is TS CALs concurent? There may be more than 30 users need access TS. But it will never be 30 users connect to the TS at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

I can't be certain i'm afraid but it doesn't look like they do concurrent licencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back