Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

License help

Status
Not open for further replies.

spliterman

Programmer
Mar 22, 2005
US
I am getting an error in the log every day that my server is out of licenses, but when I go to the Manage licenses screen from server management, it states that I have 40 installed licenses with a max usage of 29. Every time I check it the max usage is under 40. Any ideas?

Error message is from LicenseService with description of:

The product Windows Server is out of licenses. Use Licensing from the Administrative Tools folder for more information on which users are out of compliance and how many licenses should be purchased.

I would do it after hours. There shouldn't be any reason you couldn't do it over a remote desktop session.

Before you do anything else, do you have another server in your network, perhaps a member server in your domain? It may be that your SBS server was set up for one licensing type (like 'per server') and your other was set up 'per seat'. If that's the case, it would explain why you are getting the errors.

If you are going to follow that KB article, I would follow these steps:

1. Remove any installed licenses using license manager on the server.
2. Revoke all client (per seat) licenses that have been previously issued
3. Follow Q153140 to reset license manager database on the server
4. Re-add the CALs

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

ShackDaddy, sorry for the delay in response.

I have not tried this yet since this server is our main box and I need to do this when there is no traffic. We do, however have another server 2003 (non SBS) on the domain. I did not set it up and the person that did is no longer here, how would I find out if one is per server and one is per seat? Also, could you explain why it would cause problems? Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back