Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

License for Windows 2000/WinNT server

Status
Not open for further replies.

lydiagal

MIS
Aug 28, 2002
SG
Helo.

Currently, we have two servers in our network.
PDC = WinNT
BDC/File Server = Win2000

We have purchased 100 license for WinNT, and only 5 for Win2000. Let's say we have 100 clients logging in.

My question:
1. Do I have to buy another 95 license for my Win2000 server, even though its just a file server -not the server in which they login to?

2. Do I have to purchase CAL license for individual clients?

Thanks in advance!

For every simultaneous client login you need a CAL.

So if you had 500 users but only 100 connecting at any given time you would only need 100 CALS.

So, no you don't need CALS for individual clients, just the amount that will logging in simultaneously.

If you are running Terminal Services in Application mode you wont need to buy any more CALS if the clients are Win2000 or Windows XP Professional. But if the clients connecting to Terminal Services are anything else then you will need to buy Windows Terminal Services CALS.

You have 2 options here: per connection or per seat. You're going to need a license per connection for each server (each server requires connection licenses) or you can go per seat where each client has a license and can connect to as many servers as they want. If you have 500 clients but only have 250 connected to server1 and 40 connected to server 2, then you need 250 per connection licenses on server1 and 40 on server2. In per seat, you need a license for every client reguardless if they are connected or not but they can connect to any server. You will have to check out which is best for you. Also keep in mind that you can switch from per connection to per seat, but you can't go back.

Hello, My question is I have SBS 2000 and I have configured it run run as per seat client logins. I have 15 workstation login in at any given time they all run Win XP and 2 run Win 2000 Pro.
At the server however I get a popup window that reads:
"License usage for this product in per server mode in nearing the maximum number of license purchased. Consult the application event log or license manager from the administrative tools folder for more information".
I have installed SP3 and any updates reguarding this that I can think of. I have also updated my Llssrv.exe file to the newest from MicroSoft. Can some one help?

Disable the licence logging service - this gets round the problem of the server nagging you or stopping any more than the licenced amount of logins......

But you may not be legal then....... ;-)

You know, if you're just going to need file, print, dns, dhcp, go Linux. You don't have to worry about the CAL issue.

I agree. But I havent got WINBIND to work... no one seems to know how to (and if it actually) works.....

Otherwise its a monster when u have more than 1 server to authenticate against....... (multiple user accounts, etc).

Hi. Thanks for your answers.
Maybe I should put my Question in another way.

WinNT is the domain controller. I have 100 users logging in simultaneously. My WinNT has 100 per seat user license.

My Win2000 Server is a file server, where the around 50 users can have access and does access the files in the server. Current have only 5 per seat user license.

1. Since 50 users need to access the files, I need to purchase 50 per seat license for Win2000 server?

2. WHat if, from the WinNT server, I map a drive to the Win2000 C:\. Logically it means only 1 person access. So does that mean I need not purchase the Win2000 server user license?

3. By the way, is there a way to check how many concurrent users is accessing that server? Is it via server management, how many logon's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back