Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Library goes offline during Verify of backup set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkjora

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2003
DK
Hi.
I have a Problem with "Backup Exec 8.6" It has begun to switch the Tape Library Compaq LT891 Offline during the verify of the backup set. This causes an error in the log - See below.

We have done the following so far:

- Isolated the Library on a extra controller
- Disable windows "Remote STorage Manager Service"
- Updated with latest Veritas drivers (jan03)
- Changed Tapes .

Any help appreciated.

Logfile:--------------------------------------------------

Verify of "\\SRVFIL01\D$ "
Backup set #2 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Backup 0053"
Verify started on 07-02-2003 at 21:02:51 .

Storage device "COMPAQ 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

In every case of the error you are describing with every client I have ever consulted, this was a hardware problem with the tapedrive.

The error you are getting has to do with problems with the read heads of your tape drive. Go to Devices tab in Backup Exec, right-click the icon for that tape drive and choose Properties|Statistics. Check for soft-read; hard-read errors (as well as soft and hard write errors.) These are indicators or precursors to tape drive failure.

Try cleaning the drive several times. If the problem persists, contact Compaq for repair/replacement.

If you still have doubts:
1. Close Backup Exec, stop all Backup Exec services and set them all to manual.
2. Run tapeinst.exe (in \Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT to remove all Veritas drivers.
3. Enable the Removable Storage service, set to automatic.
4. Reboot.
5. Test the tape drive with NTBackup. You will have to enable your library/tapedrive in Removeable Storage and inventory a tape from there.
6. Then test a backup with NTBackup. You must put a check in the box for Verify as it is not enabled by default in NTBackup. Also, you may have to load a tape manually into the tapedrive in order to test with NTBackup as not all libraries will operate under Removable Storage/NTBackup.

-If your backup bombs out in Verify or during the backup w/NTBackup...Backup Exec is totally out of the picture and I think you know what to do then.

Good luck! Viva la France!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back