Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LIBEXPAT.DLL, was not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2004
US
when windows starts, i get i window that says "A required .DLL file, LIBEXPAT.DLL, was not found." what can i do to fix it, or get the window to stop coming up if it needn't be fixed?

Look for an item in C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp that may be related to some Python/Perl program. If nothing there, Go Start>Run MSCONFIG
Ok, view the Startup tab and again look for references to this.....

Also,As soon as you boot up
Try CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the "Close Program" dialog box and again view progs that are running that may not be needed anymore (I.e. Upon removal the uninstall really didn't do it's job).or it's possible your missing the file for an Application you'd like to still use

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Please check MSCONFIG for startup programs that may be starting and need the file.

Zaheer Ahmed Iqbal
I.T Systems Support Engineer
Bsc. (Hons).

Nope, none of those worked. The only spyware I have is from Cnet download manager (kontiki). And none of those are in startup.

After doing a quick search on Google.com for libexpat.dll, I came to this conclusion (which I'm sure others have too). What this does is helps you parse XML files. The suggestion about a Python/Perl file is close, since that's the main use of it (from my gathering).
Personally, I would go to and do a search for it. Download it to your computer and save it to your Windows\System folder. Then reboot. If the error goes away, great (Life goes on).
The other possibility is this.. Since you know what it does (XML Parsing), that may trigger something in your mind. About a program you removed, or a XML program that isn't working right (or one that's still listed in MSConfig.
Patrick.

In MSCONFIG Check the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys also for references.the prob is I can't seem to find what prog if any, needs this file.
In Auotexec see if there's a Reference to a folder in the PATH statement

Look in all the sub-folders of System.ini especially
[boot]
shell=Explorer.exe
is the only statement you should see for shell=

and Win.ini especially
[windows]
load=
run=
should be empty.
look for device= loaded here, such as a printer

[programs]
[Desktop]
[Desktop_Shell]
[Ports]
[embedding]
[Extensions]
[Devices]
[PrinterPorts]
[DrawDib]

You may not have some of these,..If you choose to t-shoot by unticking and re-ticking ...Don't uncheck the Whole sub-folder. Just choose items listed underneath one by one BE VERY CAREFUL about which items under each of these sub
items you untick..

AFAIK; XML files are usually related to the
"Downloaded Program Files" Folder (Xmlcab.cab of some sort) for ActiveX scripting..and or in
C:\Windows\User Data..

You can always run HijackThis! and get a Snapshot of your startup and remove the offender.
Get SpyBot S & D, HijackThis! and CWS(CoolWebShredder)
d/l links at bottom of link page
Go here and read the "Hijack removal" section
and run "HijackThis!"
read the page on how to use at

Go start>run REGEDIT
use Edit>Find
Libexpat.dll
tick all three under "look in
untick "match whole strings only"
If you find instances pointing to that file,such as
C:\Program Files\My subfolder\....LIBEXPAT.DLL
Post back.
"Don't delete" the Whole KEY (left pane, looks like folders)

What Programs/Files have you uninstalled Lately????
Are You On a Network???

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

You have inadvertently removed a DLL file that an application is looking for. Have you run AdAware or a similar program, if so it took the DLL file and a Spyware program is looking for it.Put the DLL file back in by going to a search engine and look for "dll files", when you find a suitable site, download the file and replace it, if you know where it was. Then make sure you have your firewall turned on to prevent the spyware looking anyway.

The other day I removed some adware which seems to have stopped the crashes, and it sounds like the dll that's missing isn't that important, so i will leave it alone for now, bacause i might mess up something important if i try replacing it. thanks a lot for the help i really appreciate it!!

If you uninstall un-needed apps thru Add/Remove Programs and Printer Folder...you may lose that message. Obviously don't uninstall anything you'll need or are using

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back