Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LG or Sony that 's the true question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

csab

Technical User
Nov 29, 2005
CH

Hi!

Now I fixed my PC crash problem, I want to buy a LCD monitor.

And I have selected the following LCDs :

- LG L1980Q (8ms) ( about 700 CHF )

- Sony SDM-HS95D/B (8ms) ( about 580 CHF )

Which one would you buy ?!?
Have you got some test for these screens ?!?

Thanks all

Csab

Yes I am a MAC lover, and so what :)

Other things to consider:

Cost Of course
Resolution higher = better
Brightness: higher = better
Contrast Ratio: higher = better
Response Time: lower = better
Native Interface: Digital preferrable

If you have a DVI capable video card I would also recommend this as your interface.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thanks for your advice. I have also checked these infos. So here you are :

LG | Sony

Cost: 700.- | 580.-
Resolution: 1280*1024 | 1280 * 1024
Brightness: 250.0 | 250.0
Contrast: 350:1 | 700:1
Response Time: 8 ms | 8 ms
DVI: yes | yes

Here are two links for these LCD, you would be kind to give me your opinion and choose one of these like you were buying...

Sony :
LG :
Sorry for this copy - past but I do not know how to make a proper link ...

Csab

csab,

The Sony appears to be an international model.
Your link for the LG was to a 17" mdl.

You indicate a larger price differential than I found on this French Web Site.

LG 19" LCD - L1980Q - 8 ms 450,00 € 2951,81 FF

Sony 19" LCD - SDM-HS95D/B - 8 ms 449,00 € 2945,25 FF

Both are excellent panels, with the Sony having a higher contrast ratio.

For reasons that I know exist but cannot explain you should try to determine the "native resolution" which may or may not be the maxium resolution as LCD's are sharpest at their "native resolution" in apps like word processing and other text display. They tend to look "fuzzy" when not at their native res. This could be an important deciding factor as you might not like the windows appearance at this res.

Also get the faulty pixel(dead or always on) policy.

If the above prices are true, then cost is not a consideration. Of these two I personally like the LG for it's position adjustability.

I don't know if you can obtain these, but I own 4 of them and have been exceptionally pleased with their performance.

I purchased from here:

Happy Shopping

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Very similar spec panels, I actually saw the Sony at Staples yesterday and was impressed by it's unique style and as always with Sony products, by it's quality.
This panel has a downward facing on off button that is illuminated optically (very nice and discreet)
I also have to say I like LG panels as well, they are always sharp and give vibrant colours, BUT! on price the SONY gets my vote.
At 120 CHF more expensive the LG cannot justify it's price when compared to the Sony. Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Okay guys, thank you for your advices.

I am going to choose one this week or the next one ( depending my work).

I will maybe post my final choice :)

Thanks again :p

Csab

I've seen several different Sony & LG models, and I've always thought the LG's had a better display & are easier on the eyes.

kinda think this is a "win win" situation as both monitors are very good, at the end of the day though it's you who will be using it so if at all possible go and demo both models before you buy.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Also just want to add that the specs you often read for LCD monitors are not standardized. What I mean is that some companies rate the response time and contrast ratio differently from another competitor. So what appears to be a 50% advantage could be misleading.

I would pay very little attention to both specs and look at the monitors in person if possible.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

oki, I am going to search a place where they sell both and then I am going to decide ...

Thanks again :p

Csab

I don't think I've actually viewed these two particular models, but for what it's worth, I've never seen a Sony LCD picture that I thought was as good as the LGs I've seen. Better color, better clarity on the LG. That's just my eyes and my two cents, though.

The specs are similar. I suggest that you try to find a place that has both on demo. Let your eyes be the judge.

okay, thanks Sival and thanks Felixc

Csab

Solely on the principal that Sony supports BlueRay, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Regards: tf1

Sorry tf1, but did not understood where Blueray makes a difference in my case ...

Blueray is an optical storage format, isn't it?

Thanks for helping me ;p

Csab

Yes - and it's the work of the devil. Solely on those grounds I wouldn't touch Sony or any other company that supports Blueray.

Having screwed up 100s of peoples PCs with their Audio-CD 'copy protection' they are now dead set on repeating it with Blueray. Sony sucks.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back