Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lexmark 4039 printing help? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveFarquhar

Technical User
Oct 7, 2004
US
I'm not real good with printer hardware so I'm hoping someone can give me some tips. I have a low-mileage Lexmark 4039 (page count is about 5,200 pages) that I've had since sometime in 1996. Around a year ago it started printing a broken black band on the left side of the page. The page count seemed low for a new toner cartridge but it was the starter cartridge that came with the unit, so maybe it did need one. I bought a refilled cartridge off Ebay and at first printing with it was horrible, but then it calmed down and I've printed a few reams with it and it was fine. Lately though it's printing black streaks all over the page. I ended up putting the starter cartridge back in (hadn't gotten around to recycling it) and it's better than the newer cartridge was.

Obviously the toner cartridge isn't the entire problem. If the fuser is done, then I'd be just as well off to get a new printer, because you're looking at $200 there, and I'm reluctant to sink more money into the printer unless I know that's going to fix it. That said, if it's something simple, I'd rather do that because it's been a fine printer for me and the cost per page is awesome. Is there anything else it could be, besides the fuser?

Thanks!

Dave Farquhar

I also have a 4039 printer and have experienced the problem you have one time. That was the only time I used a remanufactured cartridge. With the factory cartridge I have never had a problem with the printing. This is just my experience with remanufactured and I'm sure others have had great success with them.

Thanks for the reply. It took me a week or so but I found a factory sealed genuine Lexmark cartridge on eBay for a good price. We'll see how that goes.

Dave Farquhar

If the new toner does not resolve your issue, and you require further servicing on this printer, I do have the Lexmark Service manual for this printer. If you'd like it I would gladly send it any way you choose.

Timothy N. Couch
A1 Printech
Anchorage, AK

My new toner arrived on Monday and I installed it. So far, the printer is printing like new again. Looks like it's time to swear off recycled cartridges. It might be prudent to pick up another cartridge or two so I'll have them when I need them.

Thanks again for the help. I really wasn't looking forward to having to buy a new printer right now.

Dave Farquhar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back