Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Level 3 SIP trunks configuration with IP Office 500 r2 V5

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbietechman

Vendor
Mar 1, 2011
US
Does anyone have any screen shots or configuration guides setting up Level 3 SIP trunks on the Avaya IP Office. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have many documents from the knowledge base site but I am looking for Level 3 specifically. Thanks in Advance

The Americans seem to do a lot of the bonded T1 bodging, any reason why? We never see it here, or in Europe I don't think :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

hcalix-did you ever get a chnace to pull any screen shots ?

I sure would like to see what the programming looks like on a live system. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been unable to get this working in our test environment with our SIP trunks

I know this is for forum is for a Level3 circuit, but hoping I can get some answers for my question. We are about to install Paetecs Dynamic IP PORT T1 for SIP connectivity for a customer. What is the hand off from the circuit to the IP Office? It is an IP Office 4.2.

Can't they tell you? But unless it's a standard ethernet/RJ45 connection it will not be of much use :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

I guess I didn't phrase my question correctly. It's a SIP circuit with a PRI hand off. Do I need to have an available T1 Port on the IPO or does it get connected to the LAN/WAN?

Read your own question again and then you know the answer.

When the provider senns it to the customer over sip but uses a box to convert it to pri then yes you need a pri card.

When it comes as a pri and the box converts it to sip then you need a lan/wan port but i never saw that last one :)

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Why are US providers doing this. If they are sending a SIP service, why not just put that on the IP Office, rather than putting another box in to convert to ISDN.

It seems very pointless and adds another piece of hardware and another point of failure.

Jamie Green

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Jamie,

I guess it saves on adding new hardware / routers / broadband / licenses etc on the IPO.

I suspect also these providers are keen to move to IP based telephony as its a lot cheaper in deliver than traditional methods and that way older switches have the advantages that SIP can offer.

ACSS - SME

I would be thinking they do it for 2 reasons;

1 - It presents a common standard across their network.
2 - It also gives the carrier a demarc point.

I could really use some help. I have been unable to get this working.The carrier (Level3) has not been helpful in troubleshooting
the do not require registration. I am getting a SIP 200 OK in the monitor but they do not see my traffic. I am posting screen shots but could really use some input. Thanks in advance

http://www.mediafire.com/?5efdpazyls4u8
Would I be correct in thinking SIP providers that do not require a registration will require 5060 port forwarding on the router??? If the IPO doesn't open a session to the ITSP with the registration packets, thenwhen a call comes in, the router will not know where to sedn it.

Do you have this setup on the router??

I would also take those screen shots down ASAP. There is some things visable that you shouldn't be sharing. I only opened a couple as I got bombared with other popup websites and authentication requests. Get a config, take out or change any site specific info and post that instead. Much easier than looking at 10+ screen shots.

Jamie Green

I apprecite that but since I am in a bind. I meed all of the help I can get. everything is wide open and not currenlty behind a firewall Thanks for the suggestion but what I really need is help

And indeed I am trying to help. Fancy reading and responding??

Would I be correct in thinking SIP providers that do not require a registration will require 5060 port forwarding on the router??? If the IPO doesn't open a session to the ITSP with the registration packets, thenwhen a call comes in, the router will not know where to sedn it.Do you have this setup on the router??

Jamie Green

we are currently plugged into a DMZ switch nothing between us the the carriers ethernet port ( this is fiber into the building )They control the router

Then you should have no issues at all. Is the network topology of the sip trunk set to lan2?? Is the ip route correct (I guess you need the ITSP to validate this).

There really shouldn't bs any more to it.

Jamie Green

yes these settings are correct. I am getting TX and RX packets but I am getting 500 Internal server error . I have a call into the repair group ( since we are not actually turned up I am not supposed to talk to them) They are going to have a tech call me back to see if they can help

@jamie77 the answer to this question is quite simple. Facilities (copper) are not inexpensive and in many areas they are in short supply. A single or dual pair of copper can carry huge amounts of bandwidth and provide many times the voice channel capaicity using SIP vs a traditional PRI which takes 2 pairs of copper to provide a maximum of 23 channels. May providers are also deliverying over highspeed symectric DSL which only requires a single pair of wire which is also better than 2 pairs. Delivery of SIP takes less CO hardware than the larger CO switches with huge numbers of ports to deliver several PRI/T1 circuits.

I have done my very best to avoid this thread but in that it is obviously not going to go away I don't suppose I can.

I clicked on the link above but got nothing. If you would like to post the following or email it to me at info at ipofficehelp dot com I'll take a look.

1) Monitor log with Filters>Trace Options set as follows. Click Clear ALL then on SIP enable SIP Tx and SIP Rx on Calls enter ARS and Targeting.

2) A copy of the config.

3) If Level 3 isn't requiring registration then I need the IP address that they are expecting you to send outbound calls to and if there is a different IP that you should be receiving inbound calls from then we need that as well.

4) Verification from Level 3 as to what IP address they are expecting you to send your traffic from.

Kyle Holladay
ACSS & APSS SME Communications
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"I have one speed, I have one gear...GO!!!" - Charlie Sheen

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back