Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Letter L's come out really dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogbrain4

Technical User
Nov 3, 2003
CA
In the *.ai document (solely created in Illustrator), I select all and CREATE OUTLINES since I don't want to embedd fonts. I tried making PDFs by 2 methods and the same problem keeps hapenning.

1. The font used is Garamond from Adobe Font Folio 9. I try creating the PDFs by these 2 methods:
a)Print in Illustrator as Post Script 3 as *.ps, on PRESS QUALITY and create PDF in Adobe Distiller 6.0.
b)Print PDF Writer in Illustrator as Post Script 3 and it creates the PDF with Acrobat Pro 6.0 within Illustrator. That was also on PRESS setting.

Random letter 'L's" throughout both output PDFs come out bold and slightly below baseline. It's very strange. Even when I zoom way in I can see them bold.

HOW CAN I CREATE RELIABLE PDFs from *.ai projects that have text as OUTLINES.

I am curious at to whether it's on screen only or do they also print that way. Especially since you've converted to outlines prior to printing, I'm not suprised the onscreen is funky, but it should still print pretty.

Finally, I am curious as to:

1) What versions of both Illustrator and Acrobat you are using; and
2) Is there a specific reason would you not want to embed fonts in your PDF?

--Shelle

Hi Shelle,

1) Illustrator 10 & Acrobat 6.0 Pro
2) I don't want to embed fonts in my PDF because I don't like fonts listed in the DESCRIPTION section
3) I noticed this Shelle, there aren't AS MANY dark L's, when I first FLATTEN TRANSPARENCY in Illustrator instead of select all then CREATE OUTLINES.

It does print out pretty good BUT when I select PRINT AS IMAGE, the fonts look dark and nasty like on the screen, not crisp like UN FLATTENED TRANSPARENCY with fonts embedded and showing in the PDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back