Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Let's welcome the new version Aura® Release 10.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craft01

Technical User
Aug 25, 2013
TN
who has already upgraded?

We're waiting for 10.2 in october, when they should support hybrid cloud and on-prem solutions.

what did Avaya break from the last release is what i'd like to know

I'm still confused about S8300 support if anyone has an answer. If ASP is the replacement for AVP but ASP is only available for the 130 server.....where does that leave the 8300 main and 8300 LSP's??? Seems like the answer would be:

1. Wait for 8300 support on 8300 before upgrading. Makes no sense that Avaya would even let R10 go GA if that's the case.

2. 8300's still have to use AVP with esxi 6.5 instead of the esxi 7 used by ASP. Good luck for anyone to sell that idea to Mgmt.

Is there some other option I'm overlooking?

-CL

I too am also confused about 8300 support as I have not seen it be clear yet if it is available at GA or at later release.

I wanted to ask is anyone considering moving to OneCloud for the aura stack and just have the s8300 on prem when/if it is available? For normal aura, it seems Avaya is pushing customers to go to cloud but i have not heard anyone do it.

Has anyone had experience with it?

We're still at 6 and trying to upgrade to 8.
That has been going on since before I started.

Gives me a headache just thinking about the upgrade to 10.

We just upgraded to 8 only to find out that end of software support is December 2022.

Vodafone did the same to us when we upgraded from v6 to v7, 3 days after we signed the project off they emailed us to say that v7 was EoS in 10 months meaning that it went end of sale before we signed the order with them.

At least now there is a clear roadmap for the version lifecycles, we are going 10.2 in Oct 22 which will give us 2 years support.

Aura 10 is a different animal. The underlying VMware support was removed for 6.5 and below creating a vacuum with the S8300. Tried to warn them but they wouldn't listen. I have been told Aura 10 on S8300E/F should be out soon.

The operating system has been upgraded to Red Hat 8.4 (mostly). CentOS has diverged and is now basically somewhere between Red Hat and Fedora. Being on a fully supported version of Red Hat seems like a good idea. Did cause some issues which they seem to have fixed on the mandatory GA patches (especially with chrony).

CM Clustering did not come out in 10.1. Maybe later. The edge friendly gateway (G450/G430) which tunnels the media gateway through a SIP connection via the SBC did make the cut. Requires some additional programming in the ASBCE.

There are a couple of significant issues with 10.1 so I wouldn't suggest any attempt at upgrading until the next service pack release. Especially if you are using SIP endpoints. Probably April.

Don't forget for remote workers you are going to need an E911 overlay. Doesn't matter if they are on VPN or SIP via ASBCE, location data is now mandatory per Kari's Law/Ray Baum's. And no, there is nothing I have seen in the FCC ruling which allows you to block users from dialing 911. In fact they were very adamant when they discussed inbound only call centers. I've had questions about customers intercepting 911 calls and we will not program the CM to do so unless they are a registered PSAP (some hospitals are). 911Inform/Avaya Sentry would be one I suggest looking at. Has some exceptionally nice features. NOTE: for remote workers using the Workplace client on Android/iOS cell phones, you can force 911 to utilize the cell carrier for 911. Requires a couple of additional parameters in the 46xxsettings.txt file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back