Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Let Users that are not in domain access secure website 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharapov

MIS
May 28, 2002
US
I am creating a web site for the company that I work for. We have a Windows 2000 Server running with AD and Exchange 2000. Now I want to give some of the people that are not part of our company access to our web site. How can I do it? How can I set them up? I tried set those people as contacts, but I can't set passwords on contacts, so they can use it to accsess web site. I then tried to set them up as a regular users, BUT since those people are not part of our company I don't want to give them our e-mail addresses. I know I can set up the user without setting him/her up on exchange, but then again I want to be able to see that person's OWN e-mail address when I try to send him/her e-mail.

Can anybody help?

Do they currently have access to your network. I mean do they currently hook their computers up to your network? If so why not just create a user ID for them and not an exchange email.

No. I don't want them to get accsess to our network. I just want them to be able to go to our web site, enter login and password and check out the information. At the same time I would like to have their e-mail address on file and be able to accsess it through the Outlook. (like "Contact")

Basically, what I need is a regular "Contact" account that also has login and password priveladges, so that this person can accsess the web site.

What you can do is create a OU in the AD that only has access to the directory on the web server you want and that is is. Then create usernames for the users you wish to access the web server. This is just one suggestion there are other ways to skin the cat.

Jason

Create user accounts for the external constituents in AD, but do not create an Exchange mailbox for them as part of the account generation process.

After the accounts are created, right click on the user object(s) in AD Users and Computers and select Exchange Tasks from the drop-down menu.

Start the wizard and select Establish an Email Address. On the next screen you can establish an alias and set up an external email address. Finish the wizard process.

Now go to the properties of the user account and select the email addresses tab. Make sure to uncheck the "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on recipient policy" check-box. Otherwise the new user(s) will have both their external address and one generated by the Recipient Update Service for your organization associated with their accounts.

Their may be a period of latency before the changes show up in the GAL etc., but give it a little while and they will eventually appear.

This will create a security principal that can be used to provide access to your secure website, and will create an entry in your Global Address List that properly uses their external e-mail address.

Hope this helps!

jpederson,

Thank you for your help. That is exactly what I needed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back