Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lenovo startup problem please any ideas? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisOfOz

Technical User
Aug 24, 2010
AU
Hi all
I have a lenovo yoga running windows 10. I also run zone alarm Extreme.
Heres the problem:
the first time it started showing a problem it would fail to boot repeatadily. finally it went to the troubleshoot screen.
That didnt help.
(BTW I no longer have the reset software)
Anyway i found a work around to boot it:
I disconnet the battery and cmos battery then reset the bios by holding the power button in.Do a full scan.
then it boots up fine until..... Its connected to the internet then same problem again.
So any thoughts or ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers
JC

Not knowing exactly what the problem is, I would, in order:
1. Get it to boot up, disconnected from internet. Uninstall Zone Alarm for temporary troubleshooting. Reboot and test.
2. Get it to boot up, disconnected from internet. Use something like ADWCleaner (downloaded to a USB stick from another computer). Scan for malware. Clean any problems found and reboot.
3. Follow this to get to startup repair Link
4. Use the same procedure but get to the CMD prompt and run the following in order
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
SFC /scannow

Report back. Which battery are you pulling - CMOS or system power battery?

Hi goombawaho

Thanks for your reply :)

ill work through those steps.
im pulling both batteries to flush the cmos.
Thanks again
Chris

Should have probably started at number one with booting from the Ultimate Boot CD and running the manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic test on the hard drive. It gets more complicated if it's an SSD.
Link

It may not be relevant but my Lenovo would not boot up either. Pressing the on switch did nothing. After holding the on button for a long time, it would boot up, sometimes directly, sometimes via a boot menu.

I ran a Lenovo hardware/firmware check and sure enough there were a couple of updates. I installed these and Bingo!, fault cured.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Hey there goombawahoo
Yes could be worth a go. Your idea of downloading the AWD cleaner didn’t go according to plan despite downloading to a USB on another source it required the internet to proceed and then that killed it. However I noticed it killed it the moment I clicked on Microsoft ie.
maybe coincidence but maybe not.
I’ll follow your boot idea but first I’ll try bionicJohns line. Sounds feasible.
Cheers.

Hey there bionicjohn
I’ll give that a go thanks for contribution
JC

Sorry one other suggestion. Do it at whatever stage.
Boot up and run MSCONFIG. Choose SERVICES, then check the box "hide all Microsoft services". Then uncheck all the third party services from starting. This will tell you if it's a non-microsoft service causing your problem.

I’ll give the boot option ms config a go. Thanks

goombawaho said:
Boot up and run MSCONFIG. Choose SERVICES, then check the box "hide all Microsoft services". Then uncheck all the third party services from starting. This will tell you if it's a non-microsoft service causing your problem.

Thanks for the tip. I also struggle with my Lenovo, especially on the fact that it does not have enough memory to normally operate. But apparently, I do not have heavy software installed on it. Idk, only my Lenovo laptop is shit or all "Lenovos" are like mine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back