Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legend rotary dialing on trunks? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

altaphon

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2006
US
Is there any way to make a Merlin Legend dial CO trunks using pulse dialing? We have a crossbar pbx here (more for fun than utility) and I am trying to avoid converting it to touchtone dialing. Rotary phones work fine on the Legend, but when they access trunks, each digit is converted to a touchtone burst.

This is very strange, the FIRST CO in DALLAS that used TOUCH TONE was a CROSSBAR.

In fact, when Bell Labs came to DALLAS in the Late 50's or Early 60's they had to OPX some lines from that 1st crossbar to the Downtown office to do a DEMO of Touch Tone.

So, here you are, telling us that you have a CROSSBAR office that only does rotary.

OK Fine, Here's how you can make them ALL ROTARY DIAL:

Menu > System Program > Exit > Lines & Trunks > TT/LS Disc > Outmode > and then TURN OFF the GREEN LED for all LINES you want to be ROTARY.

Thanks, Merlinman, Outmode is (part of) the answer.

It's not a crossbar OFFICE that only does rotary, it's a 1000 pound, 40 line crossbar PBX (a Western Electric Switching System 400) sitting next to the Merlin that only does rotary. I know it's strange, but I wanted to have one. Some of my friends are stranger, they have cordboards or step pbx's.

Setting the Outmode to rotary gives me Merlin system dialtone when I access the line, and outpulses the digits correctly. But it waits 15-20 seconds before connecting the voice path. When connected to a CO line, it cuts through immediately, I guess on receipt of a wink from the CO. Is there any way to disable this wait, and have the audio cut through immediately after outpulsing?

Adding to the post above, the Merlin cuts through after 7 digits, or 10 digits, or 1+ 7 or 10D, or 0. It's not looking for wink. Any way to change this to cut through after 1 or 2 digits?

Try setting ROTARY DELAY to NO DELAY!

Also, I can still fix 555 Cord Boards, but I can't find any parts.

Now, why didn't I find that? Because it was hiding under options, that's why. Thanks much.

If you need any 555, 701, 740 etc. parts let me know. There is a band of wackos using Asterisk to tie together a whole assortment of electromechanical switches all over the world and we're having a good time at it.

They should all go into therapy.

and then, they should probably never come out....

cross-bar, 555,701,,740..what is this....a blast back to the
Bell System past...when does the therapy session start????

The therapy session starts with the acquisition and cutover of a piece of electromechanical switchgear, off in the corner, so you dial some digits and you hear something real happen. A 1A2 interrupter is enough medicine for some people, but I had to have a crossbar switch or two.

For details on the 12-step program, see ... most of the people are ex Bell, or Bell enthusiasts, or Bell Labs or BNR engineers. As for me, well, see I have an ex-AT&T LL site in Calif and one in Washington, it's a bad disease.

Maybe we should start a forum on flat & wire spring relay
equipment....it would be a small group of us old techies.
Ah, the good old days....shooting trouble on a 2 way repeating tie line.....and a 5 digit step-switch dial
plant....Am I in that great SwitchRoom the the Sky yet!!!

I worked on some crossbar PBXs in the late 1970s: NEC Diana, FUJI 106 and 304, and a few OKIs that had Litton's name on them. For Touch-Tone™ they used TEL-TONE™ converters that connected to the ORs (Originating Register).

Even Intertel made a crossbar PBX, very few people knew about those...

....JIM....

Lets talk about the good old 756, Nippon 770 and how about
the SG1...and not to mention the 555 and 608 SWBDs.

OK, who starts the electromechanical switching forum?

MerlinMan should be the one to start the forum....he is the
"yoda" of the former Bell System Techies.

I know Morse Code...does that count? Remember, it was American Telephone AND Telegraph!

Morse code counts with old timers. Nokia's SMS ring tone still says "connecting people" in Morse...

I don't see Merlinman making tracks to start such a form, perhaps he knows better...

I still service a 555 and a 556 cord board, and I have one customer that has a 1A2 behind a Magix in his dispatch area.

Oh, and how could I forget the one customer that has an ITT Corinthian in his house and refuses to replace it and would rather pay for custom repair work and annual burnishing.

Well, yes, but most (probably) of us also have collections of elder BSPs and other hard paper documentation. Gotta get that musty paper smell to go along with the reeking phenolic smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back