Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legend Phone on Partner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryingmybest

Technical User
Jul 8, 2004
US
Is there a way to be able to use a Legend phone on a Partner system? Maybe that's a ridiculous question but I'm curious. You'd think they're be interchangeable to some extent...buttons have 2 lights, display, feature button... anyway, just curious. Go ahead, tell me how crazy I am for asking it! :-D

Nope, Partner phones are analog, and Legend phones are digital. ALTHOUGH, you can use a Partner phone on a Legend, just not vice versa. You must have an ETR carrd installed in the Legend though.

That's what I thought and told them. Just checking to make sure. Two folks liked the look of the Legend phones better than the "cheap" Partner, as they said, and so I thought I'd ask to make sure I wasn't wrong. Thx

To be picky, Legend supports four kinds of phone:
[ul]
[li] Single line Tip/Ring phones[/li]
[li] Original Merlin ATL analog phones (two voice channels, power, and data channel)[/li]
[li] Legend MLX digital phones (modified ISDN)[/li]
[li] Partner phones[/li]
[/ul]
Each kind of phone requires a different module in the Legend installation.

There is some similarity between Partner and ATL phones; enough so that the MDW cordless phones can be used in either system. They certainly share the common notion of a analog T/R voice channel; perhaps the data channels are "similar.

Although, ATL phones are not supported on the Magix. Wouldn't it be great if the Partner system cam out with a high density TDL card? In my dreams I guess.
-Chris

Have any of you had any customers, or you yourselves, comment that the Partner phones (Euro style) look/feel cheap? I admit I hate the labeling and much prefer Legend type setup with regards to the buttons. Wish they used softkeys on the display for alot of features. I think the newer Avaya produced ones are a little better than the Lucent ones as far as feeling more solid. Opinions??

Hi tryingmybest,
Yes, if a customer sees a TDL style phone, they want that. The newer Meridian phones are preferred also. I betcha we lose a lot of sales due to phone appearance.
When I heard Avaya was going to increase system density, I was really hoping for TDL's. An amphneol can only support 12 Partner phones and we are already there. It would be great to see a 24 circuit card for TDL types. Even though that would take us away from enhanced tip ring.
-Chris

You'd think Lucent/Avaya would revamp the design of the Partner phones again...past the Euro. The basic design could remain the same, just change the button layout and design, add softkeys dedicated for the display, and bingo...better phones for the Partner. Anybody heard of any redesigns for them at all?

The design of the Euro phones could probably use a little freshening, given that it's been around since the Lucent days. Nothing radical, just a little tweaking here and there [sunshine].

Nah, squash it and at least use the TDL case. Better yet, use the TDL phone as an option with a 24 circuit card. Continue to offer the ETR card also. Keep the ETR as the standard for the processor for small systems.
-Chris

Actually,

The Definity 6408 sets are my favorites. They are easy to label, have just enough buttons, and look nice. Plus, they do not feel cheap. The MLX phones also feel cheesy to me. The issue with the TDLs is that anything more then the 6 button set, I consider to be a pretty big phone, too big. Although I do like the 4424LD. With that nifty display. Although some of the Definity 8400 sets had that same display, at least the ones with the large displays. I do not like the Meridian phones, because, well, I just dont. I deal with Avaya, and thats that. I like to have lights by the buttons. Not those silly LCD strips by the buttons. I bet those also jack up the cost of those phones. Oh yes, and BETTER RING SOUNDS for the Partner phones. I like the Definity rings. Actually, I think the Toshiba rings are my favorite. They let you know that the phone is ringing, but they do not annoy you.

Hi aussie88,
Okay, I agree with most of that. Avaya seems to be edging towards TDL as the small standard system phone, so I'll go with that flow.
I like the ring tones on the Eon Millenium better, same reasons you give.
-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back