Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legend goes dead intermittently

Status
Not open for further replies.

upstateny

Vendor
Aug 11, 2001
US
Customer has an R7 Legend with approximately 60 phones - Over the past week they have had several instances where the system appeared to go dead and the call in progress was lost. All AC plugs/cords are tight - any thoughts???

The system went dead or a phone went dead?
A phone going dead is probably a bad keypad membrane. If the whole system is crashing, you might have a power supply failing. I would also check ground and power into the system.

It is the entire system - it also seems to be happening more frequently now as well. The voice mail is in cabinet 2 so he is going to log into voice mail immediately next time it happens to see if it stayed up - that would seem to nail it down to the power supply in cabinet 1??

That is not a definite. It would be the place that I would start. But it could be a short in your wiring somewhere. It could be a bad card taking your system down. It could be a number of different things.
Can you be more specific about what you mean by the system appearing to go dead? Do the leds go out on the system? Do all of the displays go dead?

All of the displays go dead - customer is almost an hour away so we have been doing some troubleshooting over the phone so far - it has happened when callers were on line 1 as well as line 2, we plugged a clock into the same block of outlets and it did not lose power during the last occurrence. There has been no work done to the system nor anywhere near the system and all power cords appear to be tight - figure we'll see if the second cabinet stays powered up and maybe swap out cabinet number 1's power supply as the next step - thanks for your help and for any other thoughts you may have

I have a Legend R7 2 cabinet doing the exact same thing, twice over two days. The client reported the second cabinet not coming back up and they had to power down and back up properly for cabinet 2 to come up.
This leads me to believe my 2nd cabinet power module bad.
The alarms I had were no ttr's available, command buffer full, invalid slot interrupt, system cold start.
The whole system went down for 30 seconds and came back up.
All phones stopped working(LED & intercom) for the duration of it.
Time to find the needle in the haystack.

The reason the 2nd cabinet did not come back up is because it needs to already be on when the first cabinet turns on. It sounds like the power supply in the first cabinet in both upstateny's and photon's cases. Try swapping the one in the first cabinet with the one in the second. You should get a completly different set of symptoms, focused on the second cabinet. The processor is also capable of causing this, and I would assume that to be the problem if swapping PS's doesn't change the symptoms.

Most likely a power supply issue. Had the same thing happen, and replaced PS, no more problems. BUT REMEMBER to power up the cabinets RIGHT TO LEFT, when restarting the system. On something like this, the first thing to do is to ensure you have a good restart, so the power-up sequence is important. This way, at least it is eliminated as a source of problem.

Pepperz@newper.net

Realize this fact:

The NEWEST power unit - 391C1 is SLOWER to power up than earlier ones.

Considering the LAST CARRIER should be powered up BEFORE the 2nd and then the FIRST, then if you have a SLOW STARTER in the 3rd or 2nd carrier, you could have a bad re-boot after a power outage.

Cheap and dirty fix - UPS !

OK - we swapped out the power supply (A2) with an (A3) and ran into 2 things - first is same problem seems to happen with system losing power- second is all of the analog ports stopped ringing - are there ring generators in the power supply that are needed for the older 012 cards???

You will need to take the ring generator unit out of the A2 power supply and stick it in the A3 - they don't automatically come with one. The older 012 cards without a ring generator require one in the power supply to work correctly.

tdaugirdas is so right.

I had several instances where Techs swapped out power units during an upgrade, only to have a customer complaint that the 012's no longer rang in.

And the new power supplies use hex head screws with such a narrow hole, you can't get s nut driver down in there. The last one I had to modify a spade drill bit and drill down to the screw to get them out.

Went back to original power supply on a temporary basis and problem cleared for a period of time - it is now happening on internal calls as well, several calls from extensions associated with one of the 012 cards are going bad. Basically we have had the intermittent dropping of calls with two separate power supplies, the same processor and same 012 cards - anybody have suggestions as to which to look at next?

I am seeing error codes 7802 and 7804 - "sanity int not generated" and "invalid sanity response"

TouchToneTommy,
When opening up the power supplies, a hex head driver (fixed 1/4", not a replaceable bit end) works. Alternatively, a slotted cabinet style screwdriver (not a keystone style or replaceable bit end) will work. No need for the drill! Hope this helps.

Mark

Mark - thanks for the info, however the last ones I had to do had hex-only screws in them, no slots! Tried everything on hand, including a 1/4" Makita driver bit holder, only slightly larger in diameter than the 1/4" hole. It still wouldn't go all the way down. Luckily this was at a manufacturing plant, so we went out into the machine shop, grabbed a spade bit, and ground off the center point and made the center concave (covex?). This let us drill down to the screw heads, still leaving enough plactic to be able to reassemble the units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back