Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legend 7.0 Transfer Outside System W/ Low Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelecomAvatar

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2006
US
Here is one for the guru's out there. I have a customer with a 7.0 Legend system that transfers calls to their agent's cell phones through the system. The system currently utilizes pots lines. Every time they do this the customer and agent complains of low volume. Some background information on this account: provider cannot provide transfer services with the pots lines provided, also they use VOIP to carry PRI and this has low volume too when transferring calls (so would not solve problem), yes I know this provider sucks, however they give to good a deal for the customer to give up and they recommended us to this multi-site customer. Now, is there any external device or tweaking that anyone knows of to increase volume. PLEASE HELP!!!

The drop in quality/volume when you forward a call is normal (up to 50%). I am not aware of any "booster" out there - and the problem would be - you would not know ahead of time what line the original call came in on and what line the system chose to forward the call. Forwarding is best on regular, good quality POTs lines - and goes down from there.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

The only way I know to get reliable volume on transfers is to use a 'network' transfer (which you said is not available), or to use all-digital trunking (i.e. T1 or PRI) into the system. We have a local PRI and an LD t1, and do LOTS of off-system forwarding and transfers (supervised and otherwise) and don't have any trouble. When we used to do it with POTS trunks (trunk-to-trunk) we _alwyas_ had trouble, and we're only 2 miles from the CO, and had 'trunks' not 'lines' from telco...

PRI can only be provisioned on a DS1 facility. VOIP is NOT DS1 or PRI. They may use a DS1 facility for it to ride, but not the same thing! If the provider can't or won't set the service up properly, to give good quality transmission, advise the customer to get a different provider.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

You might talk to a network manager and explain the situation. Open a trouble ticket and escalate up the ladder. You could also use the quality issue as a sales tool, ie: NO QUALITY - NO SALES! They might listen then...

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Sysquest - some carriers will provision a PRI over an IP facility. ATX has done this - similar equipment to that used to provision POTS from IP. To the PBX it looks and feels like a PRI, yet it only goes across the room to a high-end router (Cisco 2600 or similar) that integrates it to the IP data stream.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back