Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

manoj24

IS-IT--Management
Oct 14, 2002
Hi,
We are setting up a new site and have received some DLT tapes to be restored on the Server(Sun,Solaris 2.6) at a different location.
On the server when i do a scanner -i -c clientname -s ssid
the process takes almost 4-5 hours to read the tape. Is this the way to be done or is there some other way to create the media indexes and client indexes before i can recover the file.
I am trying to recover only a single file from the tape.
I have the ssid and the client name hardcopy.
There has to be some other way .

Thanks
manoj24

Clean your DLT drive. Apart from that, I'm not aware of any way to make it go faster. Older DLT formats are notorious for being horribly slow.

Well... How big is that single file? Do your sites have network conectivity? If yes then recover the file from the original Networker Server( if media DB and client index is still on this server) and then copy it over to new location.
But in any event you have to use Scanner command be prepared that this will take long. Unfortunately this is true.

Leglegato

Use the original server--NO need to use scanner command.
If you have to use scanner cmd, it is slow, one way to speed it up is to use saveset recover cmd rather then directed recover or sannner cmd, specify the file name under recover cmd.
Watch it scan and stop when file is recovered, no need to waite for entire saveset to complete.

why dont you just manually extract the file from the tape using the base networker uasm command, all you need in the path name of the file or directory...try this

# scanner /dev/rmt/#cbn -x uasm -rv /dir/dir/dir/filename

(or on older nsr replace -x with a pipe | )

this wont propogate your metadata, only recover the file/data

You can even use scanner to recover files while NetWorker server is NOT running.

Try this:
##########
scanner -S ssid /dirA/dirB |uasm -rv

This will only extract the given Saveset...and therefor it should not take so long time.

Good luck!
Elif

Just add the Client Name as ALIAS to the Server than try your recover an the SERVER itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back