Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato networker on hp-ux ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliverbeat

Technical User
Sep 3, 2004
NZ
Hello,

Firstable I am new on hp-ux (well long time ago) I am more aix admin....

Legato networker is the tool backup use on the hp-ux. I don't know this tool and would like to know where to find some docs or training.

My first question will be : when a system (hp-ux B.11.0) is backuped on a tape via legato (currently it is a full backup (all fs are backuped (fs system and data) it is what I see whith the command mminfo -v), can I restore the system through the tape ? (I don't know how work legato and if it mades a bootable tape??) or do we need to have a backup os seprate done via ignite (make_recovery)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello,

in order to restore a full backup to a new machine, i.e. desaster recovery, Legato Networker will first need a basic operating system installation, including Networker installation, on the new machine. Then you have to know which save set ID from which tape you need, and Networker will do the rest for you.

How you get this basic installation, is up to you.
We rely on doing this installation from CD/DVD; it should not take that long.
Ignite could be a faster solution; never tried it myself. (I am new to hp-ux, too.) And I don't know if ignite allows including Networker installation, but I guess so.

For more information, have a look at Legato's website , which is now owned by EMC.

There is a Legato forum here too, forum480

And regarding training, I think you should contact your local Legato or EMC representative.

regards

It may be possible to "add" the Legato Networker server info to an HP Ignite backup. I have never done that, but I know there are configurable items with Ignite, so I would guess it's possible to "include" putting the Networker server information in there, would allow it to be restored from the Ignite backup.

If the Networker server is in use at the time of the backup, it may not get 100% integrity of the files though.

My choice would be to use Ignite for only OS recovery and then run the Networker Server recovery after that. Unless you could schedule downtime for your Networker server while creating the Ignite backup.

Hi guys,

for the reply sorry for the delay.

So in my point of view I have to make the os backup on a tape and try on Legato and I will know how to do it.

BUT
But the thing is, to do that I have to install Ignite and to install, Ignite I have to increase the FS /opt and to increase the fs /opt, I have to install JFSOnline and to install JFSonline they have to pay a licence key and then I have to reboot the system ?
Am I correct ?

So If I install and reboot and the system didn't reboot, I have to reinstall a new system and then copy all the data that I have before to save on a tape with cpio or tar ?

Am I correct ?

Gosh I think I really hate HP systems ... so much easy in AIX...

Thanks in advance for any advise !

Your helpful
Cheers

You can increase /opt without JFSonline - it is a little technical as you have to be in maintainance mode.

I would like to think you can install ignite without having to increase /opt ???

If you install ignite, you can use the make_tape_ecovery command to make a bootable recovery image. You can then use networker to recover data.

You could include networker in the recovery_tape quite easily (esp. if it's installed within vg00). If not, it's very easy to reinstall, esp. as you only need the client software.

Martin

Hi

Thanks again.

I have created a fs /opt/ignite and install ignite-ux on it.
I have made the os backup via make_tape_recovey !
Cool now I can't test the restore now but In would like to know how to proceed as I am not familiar with the hp console ...

Thanks in advance.

To test retore I would do the following.

If mirror system disk, break the mirror, restore to one disk, if successful, re-mirror. If not you still have a working boot disk.

If you insert the tape, re-boot, and stop the process when you get the option to "press any key within ten seconds".

Type search and press return.

The system will scan for available boot devices, choose the tape drive.

The system should boot off the tape, if you don't interrupt it, it should then recover. However, you may wish to interrupt so that you can re-jig the filesystem sizes (increase /opt for example), or control which disk it restores to.

What options did you use with the make_tape_recovery command?

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply
here the command use to make the system backup:
make_tape_recovery –v –x inc_entire=vg00

The idea of unmirror the vg is good but for the moment I am not yet completely comfortable with hp and don't want to do something wrong. The thing they don't have a spare machine to play with... only production and dev used !

But good idea i the future if they give me a dev system to perform some tests...

Cheers
Al

From memory, the tape command looks good ...

Should have no issues with a restore, if needed.

Not recommeneded to play with the live server, it can end in tears ...

Martin

Hello,

I have tried to make a system backup (HP-UX B 11.00) with make_tape_recovery command and it his hanging when I run it with nohup (I am using a putty session and after several time I am loosing the connection... so I have to and I want to be sure that if my system crash I can restore it... so I prefer to have a clean backup)
Error on the recovery.log file:
* Testing for necessary pax patch.
WARNING: The version of pax on the system to be archived needs to
be patched with one of the following patches or later.
If you do not load the pax patch, some files will not be
correctly archived (see the Ignite-UX release notes for
details):

HP-UX Patch needed
------- ------------
B.11.00 PHCO_30150
B.11.11 PHCO_32438

You can get patches over the web from the patch database at:
or directly from the FTP server at:
ftp://us-ffs.external.hp.com/hp-ux_patches

Should I have to update the pax ? The thing is on the link I didn't find the version POCH_30150

here what i have on the system (HP-UX B.11.00 U 9000/800):
# swlist -l product |grep pax
PHCO_20416 1.0 pax(1) cumulative patch

If I have to install it does this product need the a reboot system (I hope no)... and to install it I use swinstall ?

Note: When I did the backup on the test machine I have no errors about this so how can I check the difference between the prod and test system ?
On test this is what I have:
nawux02: / # swlist -l product |grep pax
PHCO_16885 1.0 pax(1) restoring hard and soft links
PHCO_25418 1.0 pax(1) cumulative patch

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.
Al.

Yep, looks like the patch is needed.

Check the release notes to see if a rebbot is needed.

Not sure about the nohup thing, strange. Shouldn't take that long to run, so perhaps not too bad if you have to wait.

If I get 5 mins I'll test on one of our systems, see if I can nohup it.

Martin

In response to your question about NetWorker training, an alternative to EMC is Brode Training and Consulting (
I just joined this forum so I apologize for the late submission to this thread.

Rick

Thanks for your reply. It is never too late !

I have decided to stop using Legato as we don't have the skills and use instead fbackup command as legato was only use for one hp-ux machine...

Thanks again.
Cheers
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back