Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato Networker - client machine insists on running as server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrStig

Technical User
Jun 5, 2007
DK
I have a Legato Networker backup system running in the following configuration:

One Linux backup server with both Legato Networker server and client RPMs installed.
And 8 Linux client machines with only the Legato clients installed.

My problem is that one of the client machines insists on being also the server. I suspect that (by mistake) a former colleage of mine might have previously installed both client and server RPMs on this machine. But my attemps to repair it have all failed. I tried to deinstall all Legato packages and delete the /nsr directory and then only installing the client RPMs. But the machine still sees itself as a server.

When running a ps -ef | grep nsr on the working clients I get only:
/usr/sbin/nsrexecd

But un the troubled client I get:
/usr/sbin/nsrexecd
/usr/sbin/nsrd
/usr/sbin/nsrmmdbd
/usr/sbin/nsrindexd

When I try to start nwadmin on the troubled client it has itself set as server and I need to change the server to the real backup server everytime I want to run remote controled backups and recover files. The server selection can for some reason not be made persistant. When I look at the registration it sees itself as a server with an evaluation license.

Does anybody know how I can repair this client in order to get it to work as a normal client?

Kind regards
MrStig

nsrd" is the master server process. That's why this machine thinks it is a server. Somebody must have installed it.

The best solution is to
- remove all lgto packages
- rm -rf /nsr
- re-install the client

You can also work with this procedure
nsr_shutdown
nsrexecd [-s server]

However, as this does not change the backup scripts, you will need to rerun this procedure after a system restart.

Thanks 605,

I understand the problem a little better now but I suspect that I somehaow have a 'zombie' legato server installed on this machine.

In order to de-install all the lgto packages I ran a rpm -qa | grep lgto

and got only:
lgtoclnt-7.2-1
lgtoman-7.2-1

I had hoped that it would appear tha at least also a
lgtoserv-7.2-1 packet was installed - but that was not the case.

I then followed you suggestion to remove the installed lgto packages and the /nsr directory and the re-install the client.
- Unfortunately the nsrd process was still present after this task. So I still welcome any additional troubleshooting suggestions.

Afterwards I tried your suggested workaround procedure:
nsr_shutdown
nsrexecd [-s server]
and it was just what I needed to solve my troubles on the short term.

Kind regards
MrStig

If the package is not present anymore, i am sure that the binaries can not be removed.

I would
- stop NetWorker
- re-install the server package - should be possible
- de-install the server package to remove the binaries again

This is easier as you do not see which binaries or libraries are installed.

Good luck.

Thank you once again - It worked!

- I stopped networker
- Then I installed the server package (and the packages it depended on)
- Then to make sure to get a clean baseline I de-installed all legato packages and removed the /nsr directory
- Then I installed the lgtoclnt-7.2-1 and lgtoman-7.2-1 RPMs again

When re-starting networker and running a ps -ef |grep nsr I now could confirm that only the expected client processes were running:
nsrexecd

Problems solved and my customers are happy :)

Kind regards
MrStig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back