Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato Networker Backup software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am looking for a little commentary on this product as used over windows 2k, and specific problems and or benefits to influence my client one way or the other.Basically is it better than Veritas products? Thanks for your help
dday

How long is a piece of string?
That question is a little ambigious given that ever product has it's strengths and weaknesses.
I would say that Legato is good in a multi-OS envirnoment and for ease of monitoring. On the flip-side though, it requires a massive amount of detail planning in order to set everything up first and to fine tune. ALso, any problems you do have, are generally very non-descript and it will take some time to resolve them (unless you are using online forums and email based distribtion lists)
Once it is running and all the bugs are sorted out, Networker is generally a good product, just requires a lot of sleepless nights and hair-pulling episodes.
That's my opinion and not too sure if it helps you at all.
Oh, and BTW, it might pay to get Legato professional services in for a scope of project work and maybe even get them to do the work and above all GET SOME TRAINING ON THE PRODUCT.
(only if you decide to go with the produc that is ;-) )

I agree with x2, a bit of a vague question. However, I've worked on both products, and they each have their good and bad parts. I found Veritas Netbackup a bit easier to work with when it came to various operation systems. I was doing backups of oracle on solaris and sql server on NT/2000 with no problems, all from a solaris-based master server. Recoveries on veritas have tended to be faster than those in legato, but that is most likely due to the legato configuration here, which I'm not sure was set up properly to begin with. I did the setup of veritas from the ground up, so things were a bit cleaner.
Also, I am using an older version of legato (5.1), so I'm sure things have improved dramtically in the area of multi-OS support.
That's my two cents, anyway. Either product is a solid choice.

T

My experience with Legato was mediocre until we upgraded to their latest version 6.1. Whew! Now my machines scream when doing backups. They basically gutted the whole thing and fixed the architecture. Now the indexes are 40% smaller, and I've received way less corruptions. I must say that this is their best rev to date. I was a Veritas fan in the past, and I have seen the light. Legato is available on pretty much every platform, support NAS, has serverless backup, and their support is tops now that they've got a new CEO on board. I would recommend Professional Services though to start you on the right path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back