Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato Migration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLARFLARE

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2000
US
I'm running Legato on a Sun Sparc 1000 which has been backing up my main servers and Raids on my LAN, with about an 18 month restore policy. <br><br>I'm about to renumber (reIP) my entire network, including the Legato Server.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm confident about going forward with Legato after the renumbering, but I very concerned about being able to access or restore data from older savesets who's IPs have now (or will be) changed to a totally new subnet.<br><br>Any suggestions about how I can cleanly renumber my entire network and still be able to pull from, and restore from older savesets/indexs in Legato....Or am I screwed.

I have an SGI/WinNT network where I use Networker, Archive, and Exchange Business suite.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have 2 servers that connect to 2 juteboxes (how do you spell that).&nbsp;&nbsp;Anyway, I re-IP addressed them about a year ago and Networker didn't even notice.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have recovered backups and archives since then with out any problems.&nbsp;&nbsp;My Legato was configured with host names not IP addresses and the names didn't change from the re-IP-ing.&nbsp;&nbsp;I wouldn't worry about it, just concentrate on getting the IP address and networker should work fine.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you want any detailed info on how I did it, just let me know.

SOLARFLARE,

I agree with Rbaetz, as long as your licensing is correctly setup to allow your networker server to function restoring data shouldn't be a problem. As long as you can ping your servers/clients networker should be fine.

As far as I am aware Networker licensing is tied to MAC address and Hostname, not IP addresses. Thus as long as you dont change the MAC address or hostname then restores shouldn't be an issue and even if say you have a NIC failure and have change the card and get a new MAC as long as your license reflects that MAC address and the hostname and securities are the same all should be well.

Hi,

This should not be a problem, if you are using hostnames not IPs. If you are renaming the clients then you have a problem. You have to add a new client because you cannot rename one easily. This means a full backup as well the first time it is run.

Don't worry about deleting the clients. The data is still there. You have to add the client back again to get at it and hence need a working IP. I usually just add a fake on in /etc/hosts.

Regards,

Simon. [sig][/sig]

If you have a sunsolve.sun.com account, take a look at Infodoc ID: 12908.

I am trying to re-ip my NSR server/storagenode. The purpose is to make it backup using our backup network over the trunk interface.

You must set-up aliases for the old client into the new clients, and change the nsr.res ( old nsr server ip -> new nsr server ip)

Hope that helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back