Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Legato hanging on UNIX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntdiane

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2001
US
We recently migrated our Legato server from NT to Solaris. Our backups starting hanging for no apparent reason. We found what appears to have been the problem. The number of open files allowed for each process was around 64 and Legato needed a lot more. We upped the number and our backups have stopped hanging. Has anyone experienced this?

where did you change this?
is that a solaris parameter or a networker parameter?

This happens to us also. If i knew where to change this it might help us to.
Thnaks in advance.

We are experiencing the same problem. Where is the parameter set and did it fix the problem ?

We've experienced a situation were the server for some reason started a group and used full parallellism on the server and the clients. But after a while it didn't start pending clients but left the group with 10-15 clients left to backup for over an hour and then suddenly finished it. We've seen this on three different installations, all 6.0.1, and I too would like to test this open file theory to see if it solves any problem or otherwise influences the performance.

TIA!

// Matts

change most unix parameters using the sysconfigtab file in the /etc area. use dxkerneltuner.

I think it's a kernel parameter. So change the kernel settings. But I'm not sure how it works on Solaris. So pls ask a Solaris admin for further assistance.

This is a solaris kernel parameter. in /etc/system we added a line
set rlim-fd-max=4096. Hope it works for you

I have a problem with recovery hanging when trying to recover a large number of files. I successfully backed up 12 directories with several hundred thousand files. When I went to recover a directory with 9.7 Gb and 214K files, nwrecover just hangs when I start the restore. I am running Solaris 8 at the current recommended patch level. I have a case open with Legato, they don't have an answer yet.

Anybody else with the same problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back